2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC

I'm looking at purchasing one. Its $17,495, but has 40k on it.

I looked up recalls and there were 6 (!) including one on the transmission and one on the front suspension. Has anyone had any issues, or know anything about the recalls?

Thanks!

BTW, for about the same price (give or take $100) there are also two other Subaru Outbacks. One is an '03 with 24K miles and a 5 speed, but the 4 cyl

The other is an '05, kind of stripped, with 25K miles on it. Its listed as having a 4 speed auto and the 4 cyl.

Any thoughts on which of the three would be the best one? The VDC is very nice, and I like the VDC option for my wife. I am a bit concerned about the 4cyl, as a buddy has an '02 Impreza with the 4cyl, and its a bit slow. Is the 4cyl too slow in the larger Outback? I'm retiring a '97 Intrepid with the 3.5 litre 6 that I love (it has great power) so I'm a bit leary of going down.

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

The 4 cyl Outbacks in those years won't smash your back to the seat that is for certain.

I've gotten used to it--my prior mazda 626 was peppier. That 05 seems like the deal to me -- lots of factory warranty left. And a "stripped" outback is still pretty feature rich.

Though I will say that an outback with a manual tranny and the 4cyl still feels pretty lively. No way in hell I'd deal with a stick in Chicagoland traffic though (I used to love having a manual tranny).

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I think service records are important and more so than the mileage.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Carfax, previous owner call (if possible), and a dealer VIN warranty search help also....

Reply to
S.Lewis

Ours is not VDC, we only had the recall on the clip for the cruise control - though we never experienced a problem before the recall. The only other item was refrigerant leaking from the intake and discharge hoses from the a/c c'pressor.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

En/na Jimbo ha escrit:

Be carrefully with the 2004-2005 4cyl 2.5i NON-TURBO engine, they are some of them that burns a lot of oil (1 litre in only 3.000Km !!!)... I have one of them.....

I feel the 4 cyl 2.5i enough for the larger outback

Joan

Reply to
joan

Reply to