2000 Altima remote trunk opener problem

Hi all

My Altima has very recently developed a problem where I cannot open the trunk remotely anymore (from the remote or from within the cabin).

When the trunk is open and I press the trunk open button, the release lever does move. When it is closed, nothing happens (I hear a slight buzz but trunk remains closed).

It is opened by means of a assembly that contains a motor and gears. Opening this assembly up, everything looks fine. No stripped gears or anything. I re-lubed it and put it back together. It still does not work.

It almost seems like the pulse that normally drives this is too short (is it perhaps driven by a capacitor that's leaking or something?). Looking at this signal on a scope it is not a nice square signal - it goes to 12V but very quickly droops to 0 volt.

When I momentarily apply 12 V to the motor from a external source, the trunk opens fine.

Has anyone out there seen this before? Where is the drive unit located for this motor?

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
remcow