Peculiar cold weather behavior

It was about 7 degrees F here on Sunday morning. A blaring automobile horn woke me (and the neighbors) from a sound sleep about 7 o'clock. The culprit was my '92 Grand Am parked in the back yard.

Disconnected the battery to quiet the beast and went back to bed.

This machine has exhibited the same behavior in the past during cold snaps when my daughter was its principal driver. Gave her instructions to pull the fuse to the horn relay whenever it happened. Never could come up with a cause for the problem.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of expansion/contraction phenomenon? Is there a bare place on the wire to the horn "button" that makes contact with ground somewhere along its route when its dimensions change with the weather? Does the horn button itself change shape enough to make contact as if it were being pressed upon? Is there something really odd going on with the normally open contact in the horn relay when the temperature changes?

This has me doing a lot thinking. Don't want to tear down the whole steering column trying to find something that may not even exist there.

Anyone else out there had something like this happen to them?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Shep