TWO Legacies wouldn't start!

Hello It's been pretty cold here in the snow in NY State so I put my 2 Legacy Wagons 96 and 99 in the garage and put the gas heater on overnight. Next morning neither of them would start until I left them out in the cold. Why please? Gil (newbie to USA from UK!)

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Frozen gas? How full was your tank?

How cold was it?

I've had my 98 Legacy out and about -30 C, parked outdoors overnight, never had a problem.

Reply to
Hallan Blaggit

There could have been so much carbon monoxide and other oxygen scavenging going on that there wasn't enough O2 for proper combustion... Puting the car outside would have likely intoduced it to denser O2 rich air rather than thinner and warmer warmer CO rich air... If so, try the electric engine warmer option instead (it is also much safer than risking a CO leak into the house where you sleep).

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That's really weird!

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks for replies Yes the cars would crank. The garage was quite warm with the gas heaters on. The cars were very wet with snow and ice. I think it must have been oxygen starvation rather than humidity? Gil

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Boy I dunno... if it were oxygen starved enough to not start the car, I'd have to think the person turning the key would pass out before the car would refuse to start.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Good point I always miss the obvious - sign of genius. They cranked quite fast as usual but wouldn't start. They start quite normally first touch when outside or when gas heater is off. So it remains a mystery and the confounded cars can stay outside if they like the cold? Gil

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Where they inside to keep the engine block from freezing or for _your_ comfort? The second one I understand. If it was the first one, consider this little item. Cheers.

Mike

There is also one for the battery for those cold days to give the starter a little more help....

Mike

Both of the cars will start if the gas heater is off. They won't start if the heater is on. The garage is very damp when heater is on melting the ice. Are Legacies susceptible to damp? Gil

Gil Cleeton

No. Assuming your heater is natural gas, call your gas company and have it checked before worrying about the Subies.

Your life could be at risk.

Reply to
Jim Stewart