VDC ?

I read the VDC system can be turned off. What kinda of driving conditions would you encounter that it VDC would be need to be turned off?

TIA...bg

Reply to
bg

On my 2002 Outback VDC Sedan, there is a switch that allows me to turn off VDC manually if I am below 37 mph. Above that, it turns on regardless of the switch position. My manual says this:

"Pressing the VDC OFF switch to deactivate the VDC system can facilitate the following operations:

- a standing start on a steeply sloping road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or otherwise slippery surface

- extrication of the vehicle when its wheels are stuck in mud or deep snow The VDC system will be deactivate and the vehicle will behave like a model not equipped with the VDC system. If the vehicle reaches a speed of approximately 37 mph (60 km/h) after the VDC OFF switch is pressed to deactivate the VDC system, the VDC system automatically reactivates itself and the VDC OFF indicator light goes off. While the vehicle is moving at a speed of approximately 37 mph (60 km/h) or higher, it is not possible to deactivate the VDC system by pressing the VDC OFF switch. With the VDC system deactivated, traction and stability enhancement offered by VDC system is unavailable."

John

Reply to
John A. Mason

In certain situations, like being stuck (not moving) in deeper snow, you might want to use wheel spin to power out of being stuck or to rock the car to get moving. Traction control can make it hard to get out of such a situation, since the traction control system works to prevent the wheels from spinning by appling the brakes (and even reducing engine output) once the wheels start to spin. Traction control is part of the VDC system. So the VDC system can be disabled until you get out of such a situation. Once you are out and are up to driving speeds (about

25mph?), the VDC is automatically re-enabled, I guess so that you don't forget to do it.

My brother has an 1991 vintage car (no AWD) with traction control that can't be disabled. He got stuck when he pulled into a slighty sloped driveway with 6 or so inches of unplowed snow. The wheels wouldn't spin, so he had no way of getting going. It took him a long time of very slowly rocking the car to get moving.

kl

2002 Outback Sedan VDC

bg wrote:

Reply to