wad I Doo Wrong ????

So I decided to pull the head off my wife's 99 forester and rethread the stripped spark plug hole (knowing that if I messed it up I could still pull the head off the old engine thats been sitting in my garage for a cuppa years.

So I finally got the head off and the stupid rethreading tool went in crooked and the insert wouldn't go in all the way and basically, head ruint.

So I pull the head from the old engine and get the head gasket and do the weird torque sequence and get everything (??) reinstalled.

So I ( this is 3 months later) try to start the engine and it cranks and smells like gas at the exhaust but no spark at all.

Oh, and by the way, the front o2 sensor wires pulled out of the molded plug so I sorta guessed which went where (like 2 whites and 1 red go to 2 blacks and one red - or something like that...)

or could it be the timing belt... I thot I got the marks all lined up upward...

or did I leave some rully important but practically invisible plug disconnected...

or does the computer lose its uh, mind if not connected for months...

waaaaat.... ? :-(

Reply to
Dave Goodman

I doubt its the O2 sensor. One source of trouble IS often timing mark confusion. Also, there are lugs/tabs on the crank pulley used by the crank angle sensor, that can be easily broken off IIRC.

Rick or others here will have more help than I.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Dave sez:

I found the problem.

Whoever (me) put the engine back together switched the plugs to the throttle body sensor and the coil(same 4 pin plug). I was checking connections and started wondering if thet was it. It was. started right up, running strong. yea.

Reply to
Dave Goodman