Weird DCCD Problem with an '05 STi

I have a new '05 STi (3K miles on it now), and recently (within the past 2-3 weeks) started experimenting with the DCCD Controls. Normally, I leave it set on Auto, but this morning I switched it over to manual, and had it set in the Lock position. As I was backing out of the parking spot I was in, the car was moving fine, until I was just about completely out of the spot. Then, it started to feel like someone pulled the hand brake (which didn't happen), and like gears slipping from directly under the car. I stopped the car, and put it in first, and started to pull forward, with the same result. So, I stopped the car, took it out of gear, and flipped the DCCD switch back to Auto. The car handled fine again. Later, once I reached my work's parking lot, I stopped the car again, and switched the DCCD back to manual, in the Lock position again. I pulled around the lot (no more than 10 mph), and it felt okay. I stopped the car, and started to go, and it felt like gears slipping from directly under the car again. So, I stopped, and switched back to Auto, and the car felt fine.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I just wanted to check if it was a known issue, before I scheduled an appointment with the dealer.

Reply to
MdTitansFan

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:19:04 GMT, "MdTitansFan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you should read up a bit on how it works

Dave Morrison

Its supposed to work that way. If you are not on slippery surfaces, you should leave it fully open or on auto. You only use full lock if you are headed in a straight line and on slippery surfaces. What it does is lock the differentials so all wheels turn at the same speed. It disables the stuff that the differential is supposed to do. In fact, going around corners on dry road with it locked can do serious damage if you do it long enough or often enough.

I would have a look at how the locking center diffs are supposed to work before you start playing with it.

Reply to
JD

Don't bother going to your dealer. This is normal: when the arc of the curve you're turning around is so tight like that, that weird feeling you're experiencing is actually the tires scrabbling along.

Here's something else a little freaky, but apparently normal:

. Turn DCCD on. . Turn it so it's just one notch up from wide open. . Take a really, really right corner, steering at maximum, at the slowest speed you can, in a parking lot. . Freak out with the weird grinding/squealing noise.

That's apparently normal too.

Leave it in Auto at all times unless you know what you're doing, can live without the auto-mode assistance (auto-mode senses when you're in a sharp turn and actively supports control of the vehicle with a touch of understeer) and are either going in a straight line, or are on extremely slippery surfaces.

(FWIW, I own an '04 STi and it does the exact same thing. How do you like your new purchase?)

Reply to
k. ote

In a way, I think it's our job as been-there STi owners to educate him. BTW, I did that ECU reflash and it eliminated all ping. I'm a much happier camper, although it feels just a tad less powerful in my daily commute. I'm sure it's my imagination.

Reply to
k. ote