What's up with Justys???

do they still make them? what kinda cars were they...good? tell me a bit about them, i rarely ever see one.

Reply to
wishiwasawd

I've got a 90 4WD (there was 2WD's as well), and it's not bad, good gas milage 8.5-9.5 L/100Km (5 speed) Good in the city, not great for the highway. The 4WD is part time, is excellent in the winter with even so-so tires, even better with good snow tires. I think they stopped making them in 94, the 1.2 L motors had issues with oil pumps, which made bad things happen to a couple motors at least :) They have enough room for 2 people in front, and 2 people with toothpick legs in the back, but don't expect to go anywhere to fast then. I know where a couple more are here, and I see them occasionally here (once a week, or two is the best guess) They are expensive to maintain if you need any big parts, even the little ones can cost a bit. I'm happy with the one I have, it needs work, but overall it was good for the money I spent on it.

Reply to
Greg

Very inexpensive and you get what you pay for. No longer made and that's probably a good thing. Much like a Yugo in many ways, and all of them bad. TG

Reply to
TG

I have an '88 4WD with just under 200,000 miles on the odometer. It spends most of it's life in the employee parking lot of the Los Angeles International Airport and has never failed to start there. It has great handling (I actually mounted a Valentine 3 axis accelerometer in it and generated 0.7G with stock tire pressures on a 50 foot circular skid pad), and fantastic acceleration ( zero to sixty the same day!). It is currently running on it's; 7th battery, 5th fuel filter, 4th timing belt, 4th set of 12 inch tires, 3rd vacuum switch that has something to do with emissions and costs $150.00, 3rd radio, 2nd ignition module, 2nd water pump, 2nd catalytic converter, 2nd muffler, (it seemed to run better without any muffler at all), 2nd AC compressor, 2nd set of rear brake shoes, 2nd pair of front drive shafts, and original clutch. I have changed every gasket and engine oil seal in it more than once with the singular exception of the rear main, and it never needs an oil change because it still leaks a half pint of engine oil per week!

Reply to
Homer

yes, they are still being made and available in Europe. Check any European Subaru website i.e.

peter

Funny, with the Justy in the US model line-up (up to 39.7mpg), they would probably make the EPA requirements for average fuel economy of their passenger car fleet. Without the classification of the mew Outback as a truck...

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

But you shoot holes in the new "upscale" image they are trying to put over on people :)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

How is a truck "upscale"? ;)

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

According to Car and Driver magazine, Subaru isn't in any CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) trouble, and isn't going to see any CAFE benefit from reclassifying the OB line as "light truck." This is in direct contrast to other auto manufacturers who, whether intentionally or not, are just sliding by the CAFE regs by calling some of their more questionable vehicles "trucks" instead of "cars." DC's PT Cruiser (non-convertible version -- the convertible is a "car") comes to mind...

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

Very good question! I still can't get over feeling sorry for the folk who have to come to town in their truck. Guess it'll stay with me. Part of the problem of being brought up where trucks had a function I guess and it sure was not to bring the family to town. Fuel out to the tractor maybe.. or some good ol' rabbit huntin'.

Reply to
JW

12" tires!! LOL. Quite the difference from today's cars with 18" wheels and no increase of ground clearance!
Reply to
Bobby The D