what to get?libertyor outback!

We are looking for a second car.Our main car is a toyota hilux 4wd.Im looking for a smaller second car with something different.I like the style of the liberty but I like the clearance the outback has.I need a car mainly for taking kids to school and shopping but on weekends we love driving around and general going out(with or without Kids).

Reply to
trcr

Based on my own driving over the last 6 years, unless most of your driving is on hwy or high quality suburban roads, the OB may suit you better. IMO each Liberty model has become increasingly highway focused, with tauter suspension and larger wheels, while the OB has gained more suspension compliance and a better ride overall.

Comments based on 200K in a 91 Liberty wagon, 20K in a 2000 OB (current), some time in a 96 OB and being a passenger in various other Subies.

BTW - if you plan on towing, the manual is probably a better bet - again IMO. (I wish my OB was a manual but the deal was far too good to pass up just for that!) Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Oops - sorry for second post - hit enter too early! Worth looking at Forester or Impreza as well - they feel more down to a price, the Impreza's back seat is squishier and the Forester rolls a bit, but they cost significantly less & definitely use less fuel than bigger siblings.

Reply to
hippo

The Forester and Impreza aren't on my short list.Ijust don't like the shapes.So its down to the liberty or outback but my question is why are there so many libertys for sale compared to outbacks?. Is it due to libertys selling better than outbacks so therefore there are more for resale?,or is it because they have faults?.Talk about paranoid!I'm scared to pay all that money to find out their dirty little secret. trcr

Reply to
trcr

Lots more Libertys mainly due to original price. Because model for model Liberty is slightly lower spec and starts with 2L engine not 2.5, usually able to start at least $3-5k lower for the same year or else 2 years newer for the same money. Our 2000 OB Limited was $25K & I could have got a 2001

2L wagon or 2002 2L sedan for the same money. Any problems are basically common to goth models (essentially identical vehicles) but not widespread. Get one with a full service history and either very low Kms or just after its 100,000Km service (the most expensive one). Cheers
Reply to
hippo