LS400 vs RX300

My wife and I (no kids) are looking for a car to replace our Integra sedan that we have driven for the last 14 years. We will use it for grocery shopping and occasional road trips (I have a Miata for daily use).

We both like the RX300, and have found several '99s right around the $20k mark. But I wonder if a '98 LS400 might be a better choice (for the same price) over the long term. For just the two of us we don't need a huge car, but the LS we looked at was quite a bit plusher than the RXs we've seen. And I imagine the stability of the car would be better than the SUV as well, both for turns and crosswinds. But the RX would be newer/less mileage, and could occasionally accomodate oversized cargo.

I'd appreciate any advice, specifically:

Which would you rather spend 10 hours on the freeway in?

Which would you expect to last longer?

Thanks! Owen

Reply to
Owen Strawn

Based on the last 2 questions the LS400 is definitly the better car.

Myles

Owen Strawn wrote:

Reply to
msb

The LS is a long-range cruiser without peer. I drive mine from KS to FL and back routinely, 1430 miles in two days, and at the end of the trip I don't feel beat up or totally drained. It's just superb on either the interstate or older 2-lanes. The comfort, silence, smoothness, power, and precise roadworthiness are worth the cost. My LS typically averages about 26 mpg over long hauls at fairly brisk cruise speeds.

The Lexus V-8 was a reputation for long life. So does the LS. LS's typically run 240,000 to 320,000 miles before needing major attention.

-- Pete

Owen Strawn wrote:

Reply to
Pete

Thanks for the replies! Can anybody give me specific comparisons, I fear the LS may be too much car for us, but if the higher position of the RX isn't really an advantage...

PS. I am in Wichita, with family in FL, WI, CA, and WA. So far I've only made the drive to WI, can't imagine going farther without a better car.

Reply to
Owen Strawn

I have a 2000 RX-300, my trade-in was an 1997 ES300. Both cars are great long distance cruisers, both allow a day of driving without tiring you out. The RX is more comfortable to drive because it has superior visibility. Being in amongst a flock of SUV's and other tall vehicles in the ES300 (or any sedan) was hectic due to limited ability to see around or thru them. With the RX300 you can see everything. It took about 1,000 miles to become accustomed to the higher seating position in the RX300 and after that it becomes just a very roomy sedan.

Crosswinds are no more noticable than in a slabsided rental sedan.

The amenities, CD changer, sunroof, sounds system and cruisecontrol are great. The factory tires were lousey in the wet but a set of Michelin CrossTerrains from TireRack corrected that.

Go with the RX300, you'll not regret it!

Bob in Atlanta

Reply to
Rlstockman

I will respectfully disagree. We have a 2004 ES330. It is the great cruiser as mentioned above. I have driven RX 300's and 330's when getting service work done and am always shocked that people pay the money for those. The refinement is gone. Yes, it looks like a Lexus inside and out and it does have the higher seating position, (but not as high as our suburban). But when you start down the road you could begin to think you were in a chevy blazer or something much less than $42000. Compared to the ES, it is not as quiet, or smooth, or directionally stable. Another problem I have is that the seats don't seem to hold me in place quite as well either. I also don't think it has as much room inside. I am sure someone has measurements for it but when I drive the RX, I always end up resting my arm on the PASSENGER arm rest. I am 6'4 but I fit comfortably in the ES. I am confident that all the differences I have mentioned between the RX and ES are more profound if comparing the RX to a big LS sedan.

Bob in Augusta

Reply to
Bob Muse

Until recently, I had both a 2001 GS-430 and a 2001 RX-300. I previously had a 97 ES-300. I recently returned the GS when the lease came up, and kept the RX. As noted above, the RX has a great driving position. I find it very smooth and a joy to drive. Perhaps a bit under-powered (I was spoiled by the GS). It is great in the snow too. I would definitely buy one again--when the hybrid comes out.

Reply to
canadalexus

Well, I haven't driven any of them yet, but I was able to check out a

97 ES300, 98 LS400, 99 RX300, 00 SC300, and a new RX330 at the local car lots. The ES that we saw seemed to be far less luxurious than any of the others - maybe it was a poor example of the breed but all the other cars seemed much nicer to me, even the RX300 which I expected to be equipped much the same as an ES.

Thanks for the input! Owen

Reply to
Owen Strawn

LS400 definitely. If you don't need the four wheel drive, the LS is an unbelievable car. I have the ls430 for my wife's car and it drives like a dream on long distance trips.

Reply to
ag

Reply to
The Mailman

I raced cars for several years and spent a lot of time on motorways, autobahn's and the autoroutes at speed in Europe when I lived there. My driving position is squarely behind the wheel with hands on the wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. The fold down armrest on my RX300 driver side is never down except when it's returned to me after service. I can't conceive of using the passenger's armrest while driving. Are these guy talking about driving an RX300 or being in a mobile phonebooth?

Bob in Atlanta

Reply to
Rlstockman

Bob when I am driving in Atlanta at 30 over the speed limit, I have my hands at 10 and 2 as well. But when I am forced to do 5 over the limit in a 45, I don't require the same level of attention. City streets aren't the Autobahn. My guess is that you are just trying to brag about your worldliness and used this topic as an excuse.

Reply to
Bob Muse