2005 Outback = miini-SUV's?

After the initial photos, and hearing about 250HP, AWD, etc. I finally thought there may be a replacement for my 95 Volvo 850 turbo wagon, until I saw the photos on Subaru's 2005 preview page, such as:=20

Observe the acres of space above the tires.. Looks more like an SUV than a sporting wagon. Will I have to wait for the WRX version to get a fast wagon with a low CG for good handling?

(The snow never gets more than 2" deep here, and I have no plans to go rock climbing, so I don't need 10" of ground clearance.) =20

The new Legacy seems to sit lower on it's suspension, so why can't the Outback? =20

Disappointed.

Doug Warner

I've seen the vehicle in person. The CoG is lower than the current models even though the ground clearance is about an inch higher (about 8"). It definitely is a car in all visible respects It's just that it now meets the U.S. regs to be classified as a truck, but it is just a technicality. An Outback, by design, sits higher than a Legacy- that's what makes it an Outback, otherwise it would be a Legacy. Except for the slight variation in body style, and the extra inch of ground clearance, if you saw an 04 and 05 side-by-side, you'd think they were the same car. Also, the 05 is a a few inches longer to help lower the CoG, but you really wouldn't notice just looking at it. It's definitely a wagon, not an SUV.

After the initial photos, and hearing about 250HP, AWD, etc. I finally thought there may be a replacement for my 95 Volvo 850 turbo wagon, until I saw the photos on Subaru's 2005 preview page, such as:

Observe the acres of space above the tires.. Looks more like an SUV than a sporting wagon. Will I have to wait for the WRX version to get a fast wagon with a low CG for good handling?

(The snow never gets more than 2" deep here, and I have no plans to go rock climbing, so I don't need 10" of ground clearance.)

The new Legacy seems to sit lower on it's suspension, so why can't the Outback?

Disappointed.

Alan

OK, I see.. From the 2005 preview site, I thought that the only wagon models were Outbacks, I can now see from the 2004 line-up that there is a Legacy wagon. =20 II don't like hearing that Subaru is participating in the "light truck" regulation avoidance scam. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that's classified as a "truck" unless it weighs more than 10 tons... =20 I hope they didn't apply this designation to the 2005 Legacy.

Doug Warner

****OK, I see.. From the 2005 preview site, I thought that the only wagon models were Outbacks, I can now see from the 2004 line-up that there is a Legacy wagon. II don't like hearing that Subaru is participating in the "light truck" regulation avoidance scam. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that's classified as a "truck" unless it weighs more than 10 tons... I hope they didn't apply this designation to the 2005 Legacy.****

a. The vehicle meets ALL safety regulations for cars as well (with one exception). The added ground clearance was added due to customer requests. The fuel economy would NOT adversely affect Subaru if the vehicle were a car. Because it is a truck, it can have and does have darkened rear and side windows. This, too, by customer request.

b. The Legacy is a car, not a truck. Specific requirements must be met to be a truck. Car makers do not just get to call vehicles whatever they like...

john cline ii, who fails to see what the fuss is about....

Reply to
john cline ii

What is the one exception?

Reply to
Alan

Dark window tinting on rear side windows and rear window....

john cline ii, who hopes this helps

| > "Doug Warner" wrote: | >

| > "Alan" wrote: | >

| > >I've seen the vehicle in person. The CoG is lower than the current | > models | > >even though the ground clearance is about an inch higher (about

8"). | > It | > >definitely is a car in all visible respects It's just that it now | > meets the | > >U.S. regs to be classified as a truck, but it is just a technicality. | > An | > >Outback, by design, sits higher than a Legacy- that's what makes it an | >

| > ****OK, I see.. From the 2005 preview site, I thought that the only | > wagon | > models were Outbacks, I can now see from the 2004 line-up that there | > is a Legacy wagon. | > II don't like hearing that Subaru is participating in the "light | > truck" regulation avoidance scam. I absolutely refuse to buy anything | > that's classified as a "truck" unless it weighs more than 10 tons... | > I hope they didn't apply this designation to the 2005 Legacy.**** | >

| > a. The vehicle meets ALL safety regulations for cars as well (with one | > exception). The added ground clearance was added due to customer | > requests. The fuel economy would NOT adversely affect Subaru if the | > vehicle were a car. Because it is a truck, it can have and does have | > darkened rear and side windows. This, too, by customer request. | >

| > b. The Legacy is a car, not a truck. Specific requirements must be | > met to be a truck. Car makers do not just get to call vehicles | > whatever they like... | >

| > john cline ii, who fails to see what the fuss is about.... | >

| |

Reply to
john cline ii