What type of anti-freeze do we use?

want to flush my system on my 97OB. i know there are diffrenet types. does subby use of the shelf or something special? thanks, bill

Reply to
eakins

After much research I setteled on Zerox G05. Pep-Boys for ~7.95/gal. And use distilled water for the 50/50 mix.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

All my engines have done fine on regular green Prestone, mixed 50-50 with distilled water, usually changed every two years unless I had to drain the system earlier for some reason. I've never had any clogging or other problems using that mix with anything that started life "new" with me. I've had clogging, including my original Subie radiator, but only with things I got "used" so I assume it was from something done (or neglected) by previous owners.

I've tried others, including the "red" long-life stuff. Had some bad experiences with leakage using it in an older engine. I've heard and read warnings about mixing red w/ green causing sludge. Did your Subie come w/ green? If so, keep it that way and you should be happy.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

It's recommended to use a non-silicate formula, and if not available, use a low silicate formula. This is pretty much the case for all Japanese vehicles.

Reply to
Danny Russell

Do dealers use distilled water when they replace the antifreeze?? Jeff

a low silicate formula.

Reply to
Jeff

I wouldn't count on it. And while an old time radiator guy first told be about using distilled water some 30+ years ago, I've never seen any on the shelf of any radiator shops, either. I've seen a lot of garden hoses stuck in radiators at the shops, though. I think this is one of those "extra care" things you'll do yourself that few others will. It's worth the extra tiny big of effort and cost to me, but then, I'm not trying to drum up business for a dealer or radiator shop, either.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The need/wisdom of using distilled water somewhat depends upon the qlty of the water in your area. Some place have heavy mineral laden water and others have almost no minerals in the water. I'm fortunate enough to live where very good qlty water is the norm.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

What you say IS true, but with anti-freeze running close to $8/gal in my area, and distilled water only about $2 for 2 or 2 1/2 gal, it's a no-brainer for me. My water company constantly brags on the quality of our local water, too, but the crud that collects in our coffee makers and spots on glasses tell me I'm not wasting too much money to achieve a known result!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

No water Co here, straight from the ground. 30+ yrs at one spot and tis hard to find any mineral build-up on any of the plumbing. That's good enough for me. Until recent yrs and due to population growth, few municiple water supplies in this area needed to do any treatment of water. treatment is mostly limited to new areas of growth and taking water from the river.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey