Wheel bearing replacement

Can anyone tell me if they ever replaced their own wheel bearings and how easy/difficult it was? I have a Legacy "L" '96. Perhaps there is a site that has all the info? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Reply to
Peter

Front or rear? Either way, rather complicated job for DIY. On the front, need to remove the whole steering knuckle, press the bearing out in a press, press a new one in, replace seal, re-assemble (check position with a level before & after removal so you don't throw out the alignment). Some people do it on the car with a slide hammer, but you need the proper sized adapters for your bearing size, and the slide hammer. Not an expensive job to have done (about 2-2 1/2 hrs), and this is a safety critical item, you want to do it right. Also, make sure you check which side is noisy, the noise often seems from one side, but is from the other because the body acts like a drum and transmits the noise. With the car jacked up, it is hard to tell by spinning the wheel by hand, unless the bearing is really bad, since there is no weight on the wheel.

Ed B.

Reply to
ed

I would change both sides once you are that far. Both sides have the same milage.

Reply to
No Way