Why not a cheaper aftermarket alarm?

I was just quoted $400 from the dealer for a passive "Subaru" alarm. (Okay, he quickly came down to $300, and Subaru says they don't sell a passive alarm, but hey). I checked

and they have an alarm for $100 (Crime Guard AL-100C) that is passive, starter-disabling, and ties into the Subaru remote. Am I missing something? Is there a reason I should go with a Subaru alarm? Is there something better/cheaper out there?

I was told by Subaru, btw, that installing the alarm myself will not void the warranty.

Advice? Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Hess

Tony Hwang

What's a "passive" alarm?

Thanks.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

I got my OEM Subaru alarm for around $130, I believe, online. Pretty easy to install (search the archives for many posts on this topic, including my post a month or so ago about installing it). I've been pleased with it so far.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Wasson

"Passive" *used* to mean that the alarm would arm itself about a 30-60 sec after you shut off the car. "Active" meant you *had* to use the remote to arm it. FWIW, the OEM keyless (MY97) I found online for around $40 has all the pinouts for a siren and starter kill. Pretty sure it's a Code-Alarm.

Shamus in CO

Reply to
Shamus in CO

Well - I don't know about all of the Subaru alarms, but the one for the Impreza lists for $189, can be had online for $145 or less, and does indeed have a passive arming mode (with a 1 minute delay) - even for an installed price, $400 is highway robbery! $300 is even a tad unreasonable!

Reply to
David & Caroline

well....

the oem alarm is actually made by alpine. At least it was for my 99 gt sedan. so you might be able to use an alpine alarm.

"Andrew Hess" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com ???...

Reply to
foxmon

$400 - $300 for a dealer installed piece of crap.. no. For that you can get a auto starter/alarm (be careful there are just auto starters). The only thing about the factory alarm is that would be covered by the dealer

3-36K warranty but fobe batteries will not. My battery has to be replaced every 3-4 months.

Reply to
Mike B.

The alarm in my '01 is a little box that plugs right into a factory harness. No big deal. Getting to it requires removing the stereo... a 1/2 hour challenge.

Reply to
Mike B.