Will removing rear sway soften the ride?

I want to make the ride more compliant, to be easier on my bod, and wonder how much the sway bar might make me feel the bumps more? Hate to reduce the handling, but want a more comfortable ride for now.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I don't believe that the anti-roll bar (because that's what it really is) has much, if any, impact on the car's ride. But you need to be careful about removing it if there is a front anti-roll bar, because then you could really upset the handling. Probably the best way to improve the ride might be to consider going to a smaller wheel and a tire with a larger profile (sidewall). That way, you keep the same overall diameter of the tire and wheel and therefore no impact to speedometer, and get more cushioning from the tires. Of course, handling will suffer.

VF, with all of the issues and comments you've made about this car, are you really sure it's the right one for you?

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I don't think any car would be the Right one for me, since I like and want certain things, but then I was never affraid to Make things the way I wanted, and the Sube is no different. With my limitations and disability from a chemical injury, there are just more things that are needed to make me happy. I don't need any handicapped controls and have wanted a stick again after Many years, though I get a workout shifting and clutching, but a lot of that is from muscle damage, though the clutch pedal grabbing higher would help, and I have to see if it can be adjusted. I have been told it hydraulic, and read that it might have a cable. Just have too much to do right now to check, IF there Is an adjustment, it will get adjusted.

I went with the 2.5i because of the tires and softer suspension, I always liked a fatter tire, even when 50series were the lowest profiles, and you Used to have the options. I like handling, but also like a decent ride. Hoping over bumps isn't my impresion of a decent ride, and It can be done. Sometimes you can't get a stick, or a wagon, or something else that definetly can't be changed. When you get something that is exactly what you want, it Is Nice. I have Recaro seats to put in the Sube. Being tall, I was never comfortable with short seat bottoms, and I always looked at road tests on TV to see how deep the seats were, but very few cars came with the extendable seat bottoms, side thigh adjustments, and adjustable lumbar, and heat, So why not add them??

I like power, but my usually slowed reaction times from my injury usually make it something I can't use, but when I am functioning well, I want it. I Thought about buying a WRX And 2.5i the same color and swapping parts and selling the car I didn't want, but then the intercooler hood scoop would have to go since I find it a distraction, and a front mounted IC added, and that all seemed TOO complicated, so went with what I can use now, with the idea of maybe changing the drive train in the future, if I want to. I didn't want to put any more money on the street than I had to, or pay higher insurance premiums. Right now with all the minor mods I have planned, and the price I paid, I'll about pay what they wanted a few weeks ago, just for the car. If I can solve the minor problems, the car will be about perfect. Pulling headrests did a Lot for visability, and the Recaro seats have smaller ones.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Hi, You like swaying(rolling) vehicle? How about air struts or adjustable struts like KYB, Koni, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

don't like swaying and rolling, but neither feeling every little ripple in the street or road that can't be seen, harshley. I can see feeling visable things, or some that you can't, but feels like the streets and roads are washboards. One section of concrete highway that looked new, cause a Clicking sound somewhere from the car or tires. Strange noises make me wonder about problems happening, like maybe a tire ready to come off, or some other danger.

Any experience with air or adjustable stuts? Would like to know their range before replacing. I think the rear is the problem, being much lighter, and the hop seems to come from the rear.

VF

Reply to
houndman

There's nothing for it but to get properly progressive dampers, like the Koni's I've had on several cars (but not our Subie). A progressive damper is very soft to small movements (though the Koni's are adjustable as well), but sudden or hard movements shuts down osme percentage of the oil holes and they become a

*lot* harder. The effect is truly astonishing - they can be as smooth as glass during normal driving, yet they behave like a hard sports shock when you chuck the car around. Truly the best of both worlds, and I can't figure out why they're not universal.

The factors to choose from are the degree of progression (how much firmer is it when firm - this is an on-off thing), and the cutover point. I don't know how these factors are marketed, but if you talk to a suspension guru they'll know what I mean.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hi, Air ones, you have to install pump( small compressor I'd say) which comes with the kit. You have wide range of pressure adjustment to your liking. Afdjustable strut has dial you turn from say number 1 to 5. Pick the setting you like best. Also tire has lot to to road noise at freeway speed. My son's Impreza has a set of KYB adjustable struts. Also you can try diffrent set of springs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I had a car that had struts and "I" beam lower control arms and the sway bar was the 2nd connection to the body, which kept the I beam from moving laterally. That is one reason I am asking, till I learn the suspension and drive train. It is pretty busy under these cars. I think the light rear end is the source of the problem. Going to try adding weight, to see how much that helps, but rather not do that.

Guess I am spoiled from the Old days and being able to Build a car by ordering what you wanted, from springs, shocks, brakes, tires, motors, transmissions, manual or power steering and brakes, bigger radiators, etc... I once ordered oversized manual (drum) brakes, with No power assist, to have a good pedal feel, and more swept area. Dealers would call before placing the order to ask if they had the right info. Knowing I would be installing an aftermarket radio, I ordered a car without one. Also wanted the antenna in the rear of a 69' Charger, not in the front where they put it.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I have heard of progressive rate springs, but wasn't sure what range the shocks had. Will look into them. It's Nice to have the best of both worlds.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

You shoulda got the Forester. Taller, smoother ride and easier to tweak.

Reply to
David

Have you considered adding a padded cushion to your seat? That might just add the plush you're seeking without compromising the suspension and handling properties of the car and it would cost only a few dollars. I've been using Supracor pads on my recumbent bikes and trike and they add a lot of comfort.

Reply to
gotbent

the ride more compliant, to be easier on my bod, and

I haven't really since I have Recaro seats I want to install, since they have a seat bottom extender, and inflatable lumbar. The Sube seats are a bit too firm and short, and adding a cushion to the back rest would have me sitting further forward, and I don't think cushioning will really get it.

Adding weight to the rear seems like the way to go for now, though I don't like that idea.

VF

Reply to
houndman

someday you might be able to get this suspension;

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

suspension;

Now THAT'S a suspension. I thought Lotus's active hydraulics were good.

VF

Reply to
houndman