Any way to SOFTEN RIDE on 2003 9-3 SE Convt?

Any way to SOFTEN RIDE on 2003 9-3 SE Convt?

Recently purchased this car and love everything about it except the extremely harsh ride. SAAB dealer told me that that ride was standard for that year. Is there a remedy out there? THANKS!

Reply to
Dr. Richard A. Silberstein

Your 9-3 convertible probably has 17 inch wheels and low profile tires which provide little resilience to road irregularities. You would be better off with a set of 16 inch wheels and 205/55/16 tires. These are on my 1998 SAAB convertible and the ride is quite good.

Reply to
Nilsa and Barry Mabel

The most effective and economical means is to change your wheels and tires. What do you have on the car now? I seem to recall the SE comes with 16" wheels and low profile tires. Changing to 15" wheels with meatier sidewall tires along with selecting a "touring" tires model rather than a sport model will have the desired effect at the least cost to you. Of course you will have a decrease in the handling performance to the same extent that you get a softer ride...

If your old wheels and tires are in decent shape you should be able to sell them off to someone looking to upgrade their handling and cover the entire cost of the changeover, possibly even coming out ahead...

Reply to
Fred W

While I agree the 17 inch wheels contribute to the harsh ride, they also happen to look great, thus to me (owning the same car, an SE con with the sports package) they were a mandatory style element. The suspension is extremely harsh, and it can be softened with Koni adjustables that ought to be left at the same ride height. The car will wllow a bit more in turn, but really not that much more.

I think the harsh suspension setting was just taken over from the Viggen, and I don't think it goes well with the character of the car. For one, the chassis isn't the most rigid, and one does not want the harsh suspension to further accentuate it.

Changing the suspension can be accomplished for less than $1k with equipment just as competent -but more compliant- than the sports suspension. Your local Saab dealer has the parts, or you can go aftrermarket with someone who knows what they're doing.

But I would stick with the 17 inchers - they're a beautiful design.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

I too always assumed it was purely the 17" low-pros that made for a rough ride in my 9-3ss Aero. But after riding in my friend's new BMW 330 which also has 17" low-pros, I discovered that there has to be more to it. The BMW's ride is definitely more supple yet still assuring.

Granted, when I switched to the 16" wheels for winter driving, I did notice ride improvement but still no where near as comfortable as the BMW 3 (as much as I hate to say that).

- tex

Reply to
Tex