Windsheild wiper travel

Hello all

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback with 186k on it.

I'm having trouble with the wiper blade travel

Some times they work fine and other times they will slam into the left windshield post and also seem to slam into the bottom position on the same cycle

I waited until they seemed to be sweeping correctly and then tightened the nut on the left wiper about a quarter of a turn until it was tight. The nut on the right wiper seemed to be tight already.

This didn't help and they still seem to be over traveling on both the top and the bottom of the stroke, but still only about half of the time they are on.

Last winter they froze in place during a long trip during an ice storm (at the bottom position). I don't know if this caused the problem or not.

Any help or advice that you anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic.

Thank you very much.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi, I think your wind whield wiper transmission assembly is wearing out. Sooner or later, it may quit working falling apart. Time to look into it. I had same issue with my wife's old Legacy(now it's donated to Kidney fo8ndation). I found a fairly new assembly from wrecking yard for 10.00. Replaced the whole assembly.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony's on the money with this one; an (alas) all too common failure on later model soobies. It's possible to rebuild the little plastic end links, but quicker in the long run to simply replace the entire linkage assembly. This is a relatively simple DIY project, the hardest part will probably be finding a good linkage. Basic procedure is to remove both wiper arms, and the plastic grilles over the vent opening below the windshield. I see you're already familiar with the wiper arms; lift the cover, remove the nut, and they're off. The grilles are held on with hidden clips, and (I think) a plastic push-pin at either side, Pry out the push pins and give the grille a good tug, and it should come loose. Pry the link end off of the ball on the wiper drive motor, and remove the screws holding the wiper hubs to the body. You should then be able to remove the entire linkage. Replacement is the reverse. Shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes, and you will need 10mm and 12mm sockets and a large screwdriver to pry with. Do it in a heated garage, or wait for a warm afternoon to avoid breaking plastic. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

Hi, Steve Are you a ham? VE6CGX here.

73, Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yea, have been for years, but not real active of late. Cellphones kinda killed the 2m/70cm repeater/phone patch scene, at least around here. I had a dual band radio in my Legacy, but took it out when I sold the car, and haven't had a chance to put it in the Forry I'm driving now. Low priority, alas. I used to be fairly regular on 15m, but a blizzard ate my yagi last winter, and I haven't replaced it. Probably just put up an Isoloop when I do get around to climbing up on the roof; they're a pain in the butt to use, but very effective, and robust. I have a tiny Icom Q7 HT that I carry in my backpack for the occasional mountain-top QSO, and to get NOAA weather updates. Nice because it uses the same AA batteries that go in the camera and GPS. Funny how it has become my "standard" rig. So what kind of fun do you have up in VE land?

VE6CGX DE KG0MB, 73

Hi, I see. I was first licensed in '60 as HM1AY. Like you not much doing anything lately. have a dual band Icom HT, Yaesu 756 and old ICOM 765. Retired from Honeywell when times were good in '96. Spend more time playing in a local concert band that playing with radio lately, hi. Still two Subies in the family 2000 Impreza(daughter, soon to be replaced with ??? I don't know. She can have pretty well anything she wants. She is a family doctor now) Son has 2006 WRX which we'll upgrade the audio system come summer. Out at cabin I have QRP+ all band all mode QRP rig to play with. Some fun with it with ~mile long LW antenna stretched thru bushes and trees. My roof is metal and wonder how isoloop will do on it. Tony, VE6CGX

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try it this weekend.