2001 subaru legacy outback AC not work

I hope someone can help me on this. The AC on my 2001 subaru legacy outback stops working (1st day of hot weather). When I turn on AC at the idle, there is no 'kick' or slow down of the engine. I checked the fuse. It is good. Could the coolant leaks out over the winter? I seem to remember if the coolant is too low, the compressor won't come on. The car has 140K miles. Maybe it is time for a coolant re- charge?

Regards -Ling

Reply to
Lakepointe777

System does have a pressure switch. Also a relay. The relay could be bad but that part rarely fails. Take the car somewhere and have the pressure checked.

Reply to
johninky

The wife's 03 OBW had to have both the suction and discharge hoses replaced due to very slow leakage. barely under warranty.

fyi

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi, You mean refrigerant. If pressure is too low or high it will shut down. When is last time you have AC serviced? You have o turn it on even in winter few ties to get the oil circulating.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't think we turned it on even once during the last two months. There is probably a slow leak somewhere. I will have the car checked for pressure.

Regards -Ling

Reply to
Austinman

Living in the Albany, NY area, I am jealous that you need air- conditioning at this time oif year! I wish I had your problem!

Uncle Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben