Wiring quality on subarus

Main question:

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Outback 5-speed with 125,000 miles and power everything, after a long line of Fords where "power everything" means "lots of electrical problems"

I've heard lots about the almost mystical reliability of Subarus -- does that extend to the wiring harnesses as well? Can I expect trouble-free operation with power seats, mirrors, windows, etc. at high mileage?

Other questions:

Can I tell how much clutch pad is left without having a mechanic look at it?

I've looked at a number of older legacies and outbacks which all have rust under the hood -- especially on the radiator bracket, the power steering pump, some metal hoses (A/C lines?) on the right and some kind of bracket on the left. (This is in Pittsburgh, we get a lot of salt.) Is a more-rusty under-hood car going to be having more trouble with its radiator and engine accessories than a less-rusty under-hood car, or is this mostly a surface issue that doesn't matter?

What are the problem areas I should be looking for with 95 - 2001 Outbacks and Legacies?

Thanks muchly, ~Adam Aulick

Reply to
Adam Aulick

I haven't had any problems with my 01 in the electrical department, fwiw. We use as much salt here as y'all do. No rust under the hood either.

Note that there was a big design change in 2000. 2000 was the first year of a major production change, and conventional wisdom says to avoid that. I don't know if it's been an issue with the 2000 Outback or not though.

00 and 01 have head gasket issues rather frequently, and timing belt tensioners are a frequent trouble spot. There was a recall to use coolant conditioner on many of these and you may wish to enquire if that'd been done. I wonder if there's a way to check by VIN if you know someone at a dealer. Hrmmm...

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I typically have warranty scans done on the VIN by dealers of (any) brand before I buy, and they're usually very cooperative and do it w/o charge. Of course, that probably wouldn't show up as warranty service unless they handle TSBs that way. It'd be a good idea for the OP to have the dealer/warranty history in any event if he can obtain it.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis