WRX Insurance Survey

Car and Driver magazine in the USA managed a 5.3 0-60mph in the Forester, which was quicker than they have managed in the WRX.

I've beaten a couple of WRXs away from the traffic lights (just) and it was not as if they had been surprised or anything, as they were beaten several lights in a row.

The dyno sheets coming in from the states seems to indicate that Subaru have underquoted the kW and Nm on the Forester, or have quoted 'hot' values. (30+ air temperature, where you notice that power is down)

But, if you like Subaru's figures, the Forester XT auto is quoted as quicker than the WRX auto.

Also note that the manual WRX is 30kg lighter than the manual Forester, while the auto WRX is the same weight as the auto Forester.

If you have a look at the dyno charts in the technical articles on the Forester, you will see that the torque and power start lower on the Forester, meaning it is much easier to get off the line, which is probably why (with your average WRX driver) it is possible to beat them in the traffic light drags.

When it comes to the twisty bits, the WRX is going to be the winner through the bend, but watch out as the Forester leaps out of the corners as it's easier to keep on boost. (mind you, with the STi springs, and struts from a WRX on the Forester, they have been found to corner extremely well.)

And yes, I own one. (let's not get started on the insurance savings)

rob.

Reply to
Robert Irvine

"Robert Irvine" wrote in news:BB_Rb.32818$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

The yanks have a turbo forester with the same power output as the wrx.

Reply to
Livewire

Ahh, someone who came to my rescue... ;-)

Thanks Rob...

Reply to
Andrew Morris

Reply to
Andrew Morris

pretty close well ;)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

:-)

only dilemma I have is, is the keypad security upgrade, a-la the WRX worth the money?

you WRX owners may be able to help me on that question...

Cheers,

Reply to
Andrew Morris

That's not Greg Stewart from GPL fame is it?

Reply to
Ross E.

The US subaru site quotes the WRX at 227 hp, the Forester at 210, which, converted to kw is 168 and 155 respectively, the same as quoted on the Australian Subaru website.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Irvine

I'm about to get an MY02 sedan, and got a quote for $1570 from the RACV, rating 1, Melb I haven't shopped around yet. My 93 GX AWD sedan cost me $600 per year, and my 99 Vectra CD costs me $450.