Problem with insurance

I've been very happy with Churchill insurance for some years now, and have clocked up 9 years no claims or accidents, so I should be a very good prospect for any insurance co, but but unfortunately it came to a sticky end.

I'm a contractor and require business insurance. I asked them for a good quote and mentioned that I was between contracts; that completely screwed the renewal. As she had told the computer that I was 'unemployed', I could only get social and domestic insurance. This was naturally cheaper, but not what I wanted. I then asked for a quote including business usage, but she said that the information was already in the computer and couldn't be changed, so I couldn't get business usage. I could change it when I started the contract, but they would then charge an admin fee of £15. I told them that such a charge was unfair, as the problem was in their system (or thinking). I still drive around and talk with businesses for possible job contracts. So I finished this conversation without a deal.

A couple of days later I called them up again and said that I wanted to renew the insurance exactly as the renewal letter. But again they said that this was not possible because their computer already had me as 'unemployed' - and that databases are shared throughout the insurance industry. I'm really miffed and don't know what to do now. I don't want to risk being uninsured, perhaps I could take a short time cover note?

Reply to
Johannes

Tell them where to stick it and get a quote from another company. It's usually perfectly straightforward to change your employment status on their computer. They were talking bolleaux.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

So get them to change the status - you're not unemployed, you're self-employed. Or if you contract via a ltd company, you're employed by them. Recording you as unemployed is the original cockup - fix that, and you'll be able to fix the rest.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Why on earth are you divulging the nitty gritty day to day running of your business with the insurance company? Surely you are employed by your own contracting company, whether it has contract(s) or not. If not, then I would guess you are touting for new business for your company and your employment status hasn't changed at all.

Anyway, most insurance renewals give you 14 days to correct any mistakes and there shouldn't be any charge for this. I'd get onto it sharpish if I were you.

Reply to
Dave

They're in breach of the Data Protection Act. Personal data must be "accurate and up to date". Tell them that if they refuse to make the correction free of charge, you will make a formal complaint.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Got a better deal with Directline. However, their classification was basically the same. 'Unemployment' is weighted by £17 extra compared to 'Professional' and you don't get business cover. Sad, but there it is! However, as Directline was cheaper, it was less of a problem.

problem to

Reply to
Johannes

It's a bit more complicated. In fact I am unemployed; not employed by the the ltd company, but still signed up with them so that I can easily start again being employed when another contract comes along. I just didn't think it was such a big deal and you drive less, but apparently the insurers see 'unemployed' as a bigger risk.

so that I can start again, but

Reply to
Johannes

She made a mistake - if you are self employed then you are employed continually, so between contracts is not unemployed.

They surely have a way of sorting the mistake - speak to someone who knows what they're doing.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"> > I'm a contractor and require business insurance.

From experience with my wife's car, she just declares herself as self employed and gets the cover. It must be accepted by her insurers that as self employed she has 'rich' and 'lean' times and she has never been asked as to her current status at renewal or when establishing new quotes, but as you say you still have to drum up business. - No, do not even ask if she does THAT type of business ! :-)

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Same here. I've done it before on another occasion and even told them that I was out of work, thereby successfully got the premium lowered without changing the policy. It makes sense since the risk is less. However, it may be that the insurers are generally tightening up their rules. E.g. I've just read in Auto Express that the insurers intend to do away with DOC (driving other cars).

Reply to
Johannes

"> Same here. I've done it before on another occasion and even told them that

I just wish they (the courts) would do something practical with those drivers that drive without insurance. I would not pay the 20%+ extra in premiums to cover the costs of morons. Up here in Scotland, notes in the paper indicate fines of between £100 and £250 for driving without insurance or a valid MOT / Tax. My insurance premium alone beats their fine !!

Gio

Reply to
Gio