Stupid Insurance Companies

Hi People,
Right I am going to name and shame. Three weeks ago I got my 88 inch Series 3. So I insured with Firebond, reasonable amount at 188 for third party
fire and theft, business use. They took 67 as a deposit and sent me my documents. I had got them out of a Land Rover magazine. I filled in details of the modifications that I had undertaken in the last three weeks. Really radical stuff like:-
Soundproofing the Cab, Adding rear seatbelts, Fitting a louder horn, Putting the spare wheel on the bonnet, even though it has the fittings already, Finally the massive one - putting chequerplate on my front bumper.
Well with this amount of radical modifications they decide they would have to cancel my insurance. Within seven days I would be uninsured.
People be cautious with Firebond you do any modifications your insurance is invalid. I could not believe it considering that they advertise in a Land Rover magazine. Anyway at the moment I am trying to get back my deposit. I cannot say much more as I am making a complaint to their Managing Director.
So I started to telephone around. Secure Direct would not insure the vehicle as I had put chequerplate on the bumper and they had never heard of someone doing that!!! They even asked why I had soundproofed it!!! Some other companies who advertise in Land Rover Magazines did not know what a Series 3 was.
What a breath of fresh air when I phoned up Sureterm Direct - they said straight away - well with a Land Rover you do modify it, people like to play. My modifications made no difference whatsoever and they considered they were minor, the only time they get worried is if I put a 5.7 litre Chevy engine in. So they qouted me, wait for it: 173 Fully Comprehensive, Class 1 Business, Green Lane use, loads of benefits and the deposit was less. I could have kissed them. So I am now with Sureterm Direct and not FIREBOND.
Andrew
I have been quoted happy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Always worth talking to NFU Insurance to them its a Landrover, period!
Andrew Renshaw wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:57:16 +0100, Austin Shackles
That's about all there is to say, really.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I heard a snippet on the news that the European court has decided that it is unfair for insurance companies to give women favourable quotes on the basis of their gender. About time too - if they decided black people were higher risk there'd be uproar, but it's OK to act prejudicially against young men, company directors etc that they have no prior knowledge of.
--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Great, so they'll up the premiums for women and leave the rate for us blokes the same.
Nick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim Hobbs wrote:

My insurance is high because I live in the inner city where the crowded roads often have accidents and my vehicles are kept in the street where there is chance of them being stolen, broken into or damaged by another vehicle. These high premiums are clearly unfair and the insurance company obviously has it in for people living in Hackney. Rates should be levelled so that people like me pay no more than someone living in the country or suburbs with their cars locked in the garage.
-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive Piaggio X9
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim Hobbs wrote:

I'm OK with this, in principle. Insurance is, after all, a business, and it is fair enough that they base preimums on the likelihood of having to pay out. If you were guaranteeing to cover someone's liabilities up to a couple of million, wouldn't you want to discriminate between a 20-year-old male in a BMW and a 50-year-old woman in a Fiesta? Taken to its logical extreme, removing discrimination like this is absurd. You couldn't vary charges according to whether a car was garaged or not, as that would discriminate against poorer people who had to park on the street. Or against people with drink-driving convictions because they had an "illness". Or against people with a bad accident record because they might be just unlucky. It would also remove a deterrent (to those of us who choose to insure our vehicles, at least) - if you knew your premiums would stay the same no matter how bad your driving was, where is the incentive to improve?
I take your point, though. If you are a middle-class, middle-aged, employed, heterosexual male who pays his taxes and plays by the rules, you are fair game for any amount of discrimination these days, sadly.
--

Rich

Series 2a
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It isn't prejudice it is detailed statistical analysis by actuaries [1]. Women are less likely to have an accident, young men under 25 are more likely to do so. [1] Actuaries - people who find accountancy too exciting.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is prejudicial. Without any knowledge of my driving skills, my personality, the type of driving I do or any other important factor they pre-judge that I am a high risk because lots of other company directors have accidents. That is, by definition, prejudicial. If I resign my directorship tomorrow I will be no more or less likely to have an accident, I will simply belong to a different statistical grouping and my insurance will be cheaper.
Likewise, the young lady who drove me through a 30 limit at 65mph this afternoon, over a blind hill and bend in front of a factory gate pays less to insure her Golf VR6 than I do for my family Volvo estate. Because she belongs to a different statistical group, not based on any knowledge of that individual and the risk they present.
Hypothetically, if the actuaries were to find that black men had more accidents than white men and loaded premiums accordingly (or refused to quote to black men), do you think it would be accepted? What would be the difference?
--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
While i was searching for insurance for my RRC, I telephoned, as a laugh, the female only insurance company for a quote, Diamond i think they are called (or was it 'the pink triangle'???), and they flatly refused to quote me, I complained it was sexual prejudice, the answer was they could refuse to quote anyone !!!!!!
If I look at the previous posting I have to agree totally with the unfairness of categorisation:
Up until a few years ago I was a company director and it is true the premiums were loaded, however the insurance company at that time did not take into account any of the following facts:
Driving for 25 years Not 1 single accident that was my fault (never a claim against me) HGV Class 1 held for 20 years IAM
On one quote at that time I changed my job title and the premiums dropped by about 30%.
Even now, conversely, insurance companies seem to ignore the 'safest' drivers' job titles, i am now a driving instructor (surely one of the safest drivers to insure) which is basically ignored by all but a few companies !!!!
Given my history, current job.....and in a RR, am i safer to insure than a blonde bimbo in a mini?????
The statistics can be manipulated in many ways but the facts are that there are fewer female drivers than men and female drivers travel substantially less miles, per head, than male drivers, so on the face of it, yes, women have fewer accidents, but, if you do the calculation to include miles driven etc, the result is different. I do agree, however, with the fact that new drivers between 19 and 25 do have more accidents.
AlunP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On or around Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:52:38 GMT, "Alun P"

mind, I've had 4 vehicle-damaging accidents[1] over my 21 years on the road, and only 1 of them was while I was in that age bracket. That was also the one where I was probably most to blame, mind.
One was in dodgy snow-slush conditions, 2 on narrow roads with blind corners, one of which was mostly not my fault (other driver going much too fast) and the other I regard the 50-50 insurance result as a fair cop - I could have in theory done more to avoid it and so could the other bloke.
[1] not counting the one that fell apart on the road and crashed as a result... didn't hit anything else though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:52:38 GMT, "Alun P"
Probably not.

Yup, tis their right - right or wrong, to do so.
Women do have far less accidents. They see many more than men, though...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On or around Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:19:00 +0100, Tim Hobbs

now that'd be a good 'un. Black men driving BMWs... imagine the outcry about racism... prolly find their insurance is cheaper...
I found this once. If I were married, my insurance would've been some large percentage cheaper. Annoyed me at the time and much like your company director thing, I imagine.
If I were married and had 3 screaming brats in the back seat and a nagging wife in the front, I'd be *more* likely to have accidents as a result of being distracted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well the answer is simple join a religion that allows polygomy take 6 wives and have someone pay you to be insured. :-))

large
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:19:00 +0100, Tim Hobbs

Yes, yes, yes... But was she pretty?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

She still is, in fact. And her bloke has just bought a P38 Range Rover at 80,000 miles with the original 4.0. So all our thoughts should be with her and the financial ruin that awaits.
--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hey Guys if females want to think they are better drivers, let them......statistics can prove whatever you like but don't lower yourselves to their tittle tattle. Strangely, most of the intelligent females I've spoken to have found Tesco cheaper for car insurance than pink triangle, or whatever they're called!!
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have my Ninety with firebond. Personal use, 123.00 fully comp. They took into account :- Non-standard air filter, Chequer plate wing tops and rear corners,CB radio, Bull-bar, front and rear diff guards, jackable sills,steering gaurd, polybushes, larger tyres, off-road/greenlane use. Evrything I threw at them, they said ok!
Stew.
--
1990 LR ninety (Jasmine) with bits on!
2002 Freelander Td4 ES (wifes)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Weird - why have they been so awkward with me then? Iwas polite and corteous. I even was very friendly on the phone.
A

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andrew Renshaw wrote:

It's probably not Firebond themselves - they're a broker. It was probably the actual insurer you were with wouldn't cover a modified car. If you'd asked Firebond for a requote rather than maintaining the current policy then they'd probably have come back with another company who could cover you.
P.
--
The email address above is real.

http://www.geekstuff.tv/Landies /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.