Yes another Winter Tire question

Looking to get All-Seasons instead of full blown winter tires this time around. Last year there wasn't enough snow and the snow tires get eaten alive by bare road. I have performance tires for the summer so any suggestions for decent all seasons? The Bridestone RE-92's that came with the car were awful in the snow and bad on dry pavement. I need a far better tire than those.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Must be just me but I never had an issue with the RE-92's in snow or in the dry. Live in Alberta Canada.... get lots of both...

Reply to
David W

Had no control at all with the RE-92's Worst tire I have ever run on a car with the exception of those FireStones that let go on the highway back in the '70's. I'm thinking maybe the Kuhmo's might be better. The RE'92's had no grip and I'd slide right through intersections even at low speed due to the ABS locking up very quickly. Between the tires and the ABS it was long scary winter.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

I will have to second that, I live in North Dakota and the RE92's were downright scary, I'm going to try blizzaks this year I think.

Reply to
WRXtreme

I have Nokian Hakkaoeliitta Q on my 2.5TS. They are a bit expensive but they worth it

Reply to
Chicken'n Toast

From my research it looks like the Kuhmo's or the Nokian WR's might be a good bet. The Kuhmo's are like $53 each and rated pretty well for the snow almost 4 points abouve the RE-92's which are dogshit and I mean that literally. It's like the tire is made of it and stops about as well. The Nokian WR Passenger is supposed to be great on snow but is mediocre on dry pavement. I know the Kuhmo's are decent in the dry. This is the Kuhmo HP 716 They are rated 8.7 in the dry and 8.3 in the snow. The RE-92's are rated 7.2 in the dry and 4.6 in the snow I'll call Tire Rack and see how good a tire they are in the snow. Tire Rack guy says the Continetal ContiExtremeContact tires are better than the Kuhmo's. I can't see anything being worse than the RE-92's. Tire Rack says slightly better than the RE-92. We'll see. :) Blizzaks suck big time if you want a full blown winter tire get Nokian. If you have a lot of snow and ice they make the Hakka Q if you have moderate snow and Ice they make the WR Passenger. We don't have enough snow for me to justify a full winter tire as i'm on dry highways most of the time. My Blizzaks didn't even last a full season on my last car and that was a snowy winter. The Nokians lasted 2 full seasons with maybe 2 more seasons but I blew 2 of the tires out on a curb.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

I had Hakka Q's before and they are great in the snow but suck in the dry. I need something that is more all season than winter as the winter tires wear fast on dry highways doing 80 mph. Dedicated winter tires just are too soft a compound when you need an all season lifespan.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Invest in a decent car jack, then you can swap out the tires in 20 minutes and have the best of both worlds.

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

I have Nokian NRW's (the predecessor to the WR's) on my OBW. I can't say they are mediocre on the dry pavement, they are the best tires I've ever had on dry pavement as a matter of fact. They are decent in the snow too, but still you might be a little bit out of luck if you have to stop quickly in the snow.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

No all season tire is going to be very good in bad weather; an all season is a compromise, and a compromise is just that. Any of the all season tires that I'm aware of lean more toward dry performance anyway. Since you have a summer tire already, I'd suggest a set of dedicated winter tires on inexpensive steel wheels. I've had very good luck with the Michelin Alpin Pilots as a do-it-all tire, and can heartily recommend them. The Arctic Alpin is also a very good choice, and probably leans a bit more toward performance on ice at the expense of accelerated tire wear. Both work great on dry roads, offering at least as much grip as the RE92s. Try TireRack for easy on-line comparison shopping, and awesome pricing as well.

ByeBye! S.

I read a review that was a Canadian review on the Nokian WR's and it said dry performance was down considerable for summer driving. I'm still undecided but I have 2 weeks to decide what I want to buy.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

I can't see that being the case for me. I do of course have the 225-series tires that are required for the Outback, so it's a little wider than a typical summer tire, so maybe that's why I'm not finding a reduction of summer grip.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 03:30:42 GMT, "David W" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The toughest conditions for winter tires is snow (or ice) at or around freezing. I doubt you get many days in Alberta with those conditions (except Calgary's chinooks). Nearly all winter and all season tires have very little traction around freezing. Add some salt to the mix and it's even worse.

Well below freezing with little snow depth, an all season works fairly well. Even a non-performance 'summer' tire will work well without or with a little snow. With AWD, you can get away with less traction in many conditions except when it comes to stopping.

For people who get winter with many days at 0°C or 32°F and a fair amount of snow should consider some good snow tires. It isn't just safer, it's alot more fun.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Right, but the problem is the damn winter tires wear out very quickly. I do a significant amount of highway driving and the winter tires can't hold up. After a good salting the roads are clear in a couple of days. This is why I'm steering away from winter tires this year. RE-92's are so awful that I nearly got killed several times combined with the hyperactive ABS. Ah decisions, decisions. :)

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Well that was what one article said regarding the Nokian tires in the summer. Of course it depends on what you run in the summer. I've been running S03 Pole Positions. They grip like glue. The only thing most people agree on is All-Seasons, aren't.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Hi, I am afraid then you're speeding for the road condition. It's not hyperactive ABS which was doing it's job. The road was slippery and tire was not helping either in your case. Considerable amount of highway driving, nealy got killed, winter tires wear out very quickly, sounds like contradiction to me. I'd choose good tires for my life. I don't care how fast it wears. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nope it sure wasn't speed. granted on dry highway I sure keep up with traffic but I slid through intersections at like 2mph car would be all but stopped and the damn ABS would go off and the car would slide. If you live in a city with a lot of hills you don't drive fast. But that Damn ABS goes off over nothing at all even in the dry. I've hit a few bumps and it's gone off while slowing down and ended up going past stop signs. The ABS in the WRX is the worst I have ever seen in any vehicle I've owned. Dealer says it's normal. Well I really like the WRX it's powerful enough and big enough taht I'm covered but the damn ABS is so awful that I probably won't buy another one unless they reduce it's oversensitivity. On the highway I rarely speed in the bad stuff I just get out there and keep up with everyone else who's going 20mph. I'm hoping better tires will help. The biggest problem is just before i stop on snow the ABS kicks in at the last second and it doesn't shut off real quick either. Sometimes it stays on even after I'm back and accelerating again.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

My boy drives souped up MY00 Impreza RS. He drives on 17 inch Avid in summer. I never experienced anything negative on it's ABS or tires. In winter he is on 16 inch steel rims and Michelin. On Michelin steering feels mushy and ride is little cushy cushy but no major complaints. He has a set of adjustable KYB and heavier sway bars, metal links with Teflon bushings, also Strut tower bars front and rear. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang