'03 Chevy Cavalier loses power and Engine

Hi,

I'm likely to ask my mechanic about this when I get my car inspected on Saturday, but I thought I would see what you all thought before then.

My 2003 Cavalier has twice now completely shut off, (engine cuts, power steering and brakes go, console loses illumination and stereo) while going full speed on the highway. I found out that the hazard lights still work when I narrowly avoided an accident this morning an on ramp.

If I throw it in park and turn the key all the way off and all the way back on, the engine works fine. This is what leads me to believe there's a possibility my knee is turning the key back in the ignition and losing power that way.

Has this happened before to anyone else? Does anyone know if the symptoms I described sound like a simple case of unintentionally shutting off the car with my leg, or a mechanical problem? Does everything typically cut out like that by simply turning the key backwards in Drive? (it may sound like a stupid question, but when in park I don't lose my stereo or console illumination when I turn the car off).

I appreciate any help you can offer.

-jb

Reply to
Bissert

Well as power steering and power brakes work because the engine is running, those are red herrings. The lights and stereo might be a little more telling.

When you sit in the driveway, do you find it possibly to purposefully turn the ignition off with your knee? If not, it probably won't happen accidental like.

Hazards are on a circuit that always has power. I'm pretty sure that lights are too, although newer cars tight the lights through the ignition to avoid leaving your lights on and killing your battery. Radios usually go off with key as well.

It's possible that there's a bad relay somewhere, that's overheating and cutting power to the car? I suppose it could also be a bad ignition switch, or a connector coming loose? Difficult to diagnose with out experiencing it.

Also, to test your drive vs park theory, sit in your driveway, with the car in drive, your foot on the brake, and shut the engine off. Are the lighting symptoms the same?

--Jason

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jason Howe

When "going full speed on the highway", why/how are you bumping the key? I suppose it's possible but it would take a good "bump" to do that with a good ignition switch.

I'm going to guess that hte most likely culprit is the ignition switch itself, especially if you have a heavy bunch of keys hanging there along with the ignition key or you live in a humid area. In the driveway in park, can you jiggle/wiggle the ignition key for awhile and make it happen? If not, it means nothing much but if you can, then you've located the problem. Careful, don't bend the key.

You provided pitifully little info though; key got a resistor in it? What year/model? Etc. The answer is in the details. Let them take a look around for you at the shop and hope they're honest. Get a guarantee on their fix & ask for the old part back.

Reply to
Twayne
03 doesn't use a resistor in the key:

It's more than likely the passkey 3 system, with a magnetic ring in the steering column and a magnetic insert in the lock cylinder.

The ignition switch on that, should be way down on the column, near the brake pedal. If memory serves me correct.

I haven't been in my shop for over two months, but when I get there, I will bring my information system home.

Right now, my kid needs me.

Reply to
Refinish King