1983 Chevy K-10 Turn Signal Problem

I just bought a 1983 Chevy K-10, 305 Automatic, 3" Lift with 33" tires. The body is in good condition, but it had some mechanical issues I am working out. I am not big on electrical, and to get it inspected, I need the headlights and turn signals working correctly.

Here is the issue:

Turn signals work great with lights off.

Low Beams on, right front signal works very dim.

High Beams on, right low beam goes off, and right front signal lights up and does not blink.

Any ideas? I am pretty much lost, I am going to replace all the headlights just for good measure I figure.

Reply to
Undetermined

I would start by replacing the running light/signal light bulb. I would start with the dimmest one.

Those 1157 bulbs which have both running and signal filaments can burn out and short one filament to the other which causes your symptoms. The glass also falls out of the brass base which also causes the two wires to short or short to ground which causes your symptoms.

If the ground for the light fixture itself has gone rusted, it can also cause you symptoms. On a GM the brake and signal lights usually ground via the screws that bolt the fixture on. I use a booster cable to run from the battery negative to the light fixture itself if the bulb is acting up and the bulb appears good.

The running lights have a wiring harness ground. If all else checks out, then where this ground bolts to the fender might need a clean. It is normally at the end of the harness piece.

Your symptoms happen when one of these grounds gets bad for any of the above reasons.

Mike

Mike Romain

There's a lifted ground somewhere.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

One other ground is the one for the headlight itself. If that is bad it might try to steal the ground through the running light.

Reply to
Mike Romain

I traced it down over about an hour. I traced all the wires and found that when they had installed KC Lights, they tapped into the ground and when they removed them, they took the ground completely out. The turn signal and both headlights were all working on the same ground wire. But they were just grounded to each other, I tapped into that where they had obviously taken the previous ground out and now all my lights are working great. I also managed to re-wire my horn so it works. They did some really crappy wiring, and I feel I may be investing in the Painless Wiring Harness to remedy some more issues I know I will run into down the road. Thanks to Mike and Scott both.

My next battle is going to be my Steering. It seems to be very loose, and I know there is always some play, but there is currently about an inch both ways of play. At least now it can be inspected, and I can drive the truck while I discover other issues.

Reply to
Undetermined