1985 Ford Bronco II melted hoses

I was driving home today, 25 miles, and noticed an exhaust leak coming from under the hood. When I got home and looked, there was a wad of melted hoses on the passenger side of the engine. No exhaust manifold leak I can find, just a noise coming from a hose that goes to the catalityc converter. The combination valve is melted and the hoses going to the air pump and up to the check valve are melted. Any idea what could cause this? What should I do to start the repair.

Thanks for your assistance,

Louie

Reply to
louiegeorge

The pipe that goes to the converter should have a check valve in it. The check valve keeps the hot exhaust from travelling up the pipe to the air pump. When it fails it melts the hoses and plastic pieces of the air injection system. It may even damage the air pump. Replace the failed check valve and the parts that were melted from the hot exhaust gases.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks, I will check that out tomorrow.

Reply to