1988 Toyota Camry -

I recently replaced the seals, gaskets timing belt on 1988 Toyota Camry. After running it for a few weeks it started missing real bad - barely got it home. A friend determined it was the distributor/coil and this was replaced. The other evening I checked the timing, although timing was OK I did not get a consistant firing from the number 1 cylinder spark plug led - seemed to misfire. I drove the car around the block and again barely got it home and into the driveway. Before turning engine off the RPM's were up around 2500 (at idel) although earlier it was 750 rpm. After a few seconds the rpm's settled back down but did not remain even - jumping between 750 and 1000 rmp. Also noticed a knocking a the lower end of the engine - but only when warmed up. Vehicle has about 290,000km. Any ideas?

Reply to
bj.jarvis

Sounds like a misaligned timing belt!!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

At first this is what I thought the problem was - so I checked the timing - when I connected the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire - the strob light was not a consistant flash but appeared to periodically miss a beat. Then when taking it for a test drive it almost quit entirely.

Reply to
bj.jarvis

Well, you found it, then. Change the cap and rotor, and check the plugs. Might just be easier to change the plugs than check them. While you have the cap off, make sure there is no play in the rotor.

Now, try again with the timing light. Is it good? If you're still missing here and there, either the coil is bad, or the ignition control is not sending good signal. Since there are no points on this car, you have several possibilities for that beginning with the crankshaft position sensor. But worry about cap, rotor, and plugs first.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Those clamp on timing lights do not differentiate between a spark miss caused by bad electrics or by bad fuel delivery.

I got took that way once and changed out all the electrics with thankfully spare parts only to find out the fuel wasn't getting to 3 cylinders which is why the light showed very intermittent spark on them.

On an 88 I would be thinking fuel filter as well as making sure the cap and rotor are ok.

Mike

Mike Romain