1990 Lebaron 3.0, charging problem

Left the lights on while car was off ~1 week ago. Started up after a while, and drove it for ~30 minutes to replenish the battery. As of late (can't remember if it was before or after this happened) the voltage seemed to be a bit higher on the meter then usual. Yesterday morning, started her up, check engine light was on, then or later another light came on (why can't I remember these things?). Ran it around that day. This morning it started up, didn't drive it. About an hour later it was dead. Put a new battery in, started, ran it, needle dips down when ANY accessory is put on, even when you put the radio on and crank the volume up some. The needle seems to be where it should be at times, other times it's low (I don't know, 10 volts maybe). Haven't put a meter on it yet. I had a problem like this in the past, and the problem turns out was a blown fuse. I checked nearly all the fuses yesterday evening, and that didn't seem to be the problem. Possibilities? Many thanks for your input.

Reply to
JustMe

the voltage at the battery should be 13.2 volts with the engine off. The voltage at the battery should be about 15 volts with the engine running. Check it with a volt meter. If the battery is dead, it is better to put the battery charger on over night instead of just relying on 30 minutes of driving to charge the battery.

Reply to
boxing

This isn't accurate. A fully charged 12v car battery should read 12.6 volts with the engine off. With the engine running it should be between 13 and 15 depending on the battery's state of charge and the electrical demand.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.