1992 Mercedes - Climate Control Problem

I certainly hope that somebody out there can help me out with this one.

The car in question is a 1992 Mercedes 300D 2.5 Turbo. The A/C blower motor failed about a month ago, and I had the motor and regulator replaced. The AC system itself is tight, recently replenished with coolant and generates ample cold. The problem is that the amount of air pumped into the cabin, even when one sets the controls on high, is very low. The motor sounds very loud, but the resulting air flow is very weak. Moreover, there doesn't appear to be any obstruction in the system. The only theory that seems remotely plausible is that despite generating a great roar, the new blower motor is somehow very weak.

Ideas? Solutions? I sure could use some experienced advice.

Reply to
Geschichtlich

A family member has a 1994 420 and I'm amazed at how weak the fan and AC system is. It has been that way since new. The fan control on that car is a 2 position switch: 1. Very slow.

  1. A little faster than slow.

The roaring sound in your car may be caused by air backing up behind a vacuum operated air door that is not opening. A hose may have been knocked off during reasssembly. I would take it back to the dealer that did the service.

Reply to
John S.

Is it louder than the old motor was? Did they replace the motor and the squirrel cage as well, or just the motor?

If the blower is not screwed onto the motor shaft properly, it will make noise but not move air. If there are leaves and debris in there or the motor is not aligned in place right, the blower can be scraping against something and making lots of noise without moving muh air. Take it back to the tech that did the work.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Fellows,

Thanks for taking a moment to address my problem. The problem is pretty vexing, especially for the guy who did the work in the first place. He went back in late last week and adjusted the squirrel cage, which clicked when the motor started and shut off, and re-checked the seal around the housing in which it's situated. His operating assumption right now is that the motor itself is bad - too weak, perhaps, and he intends to send it back and replace it with another. But I'll pass along the possibilities you've cited here. Should any others occur to you, I'd really appreciate it. The car only has 90k on it and is in lovely condition otherwise. I'd hate to have to sell it because of this, but what other choice would I have? The temperature here is murderously-high in the summer, and driving without AC is simply not an option.

Reply to
Geschichtlich