1993 Dodge Caravan

To stop my 1993 Dodge Caravan I need to press the brakes extremely hard and continue holding hard to keep it from going forward. The ABS pump seems to run constantly while the brakes are applied and I noticed a little brake fluid pushing out the top of the caps, even though it wasn't filled recently. The pedal is very hard and hardly moves when depressed. I would appreciate any help I can get in diagnosing the problem. Additionally, if the ABS fails it is supposed to revert to regular power brakes, which at this point in time would be advantageous. Thanks in advance for any assistance provided Don

Reply to
Don

You probably have the notorious Bendix 10 ABS system. Go to:

using campaign recall 96V099000 (which is Chrysler recall #685) click on the "Document Search" link and read all the info. Good luck.

Reply to
SRN

Hmmm...there was a 'recall' on the ABS system for 92-94, IIRC. One of the modules goes awry and causes the symptoms you're describing. There is a guy in alt.auto.dodge that can tell you more about this, his 'name' is maxpower. IIRC, the recall goes up to 100,000, so if you haven't passed this magic mark yet, get thee to a dealer!

However, maxpower also told me I was up the river without a paddle, since I had 130,000 miles (he works at a dealer) and that I would have to replace a $600 module. They are readily available at junkyards, but in some states, brake parts can't (or aren't *supposed* to) be sold from junkyards.

So, I asked about flushing and refilling the brake system with fresh fluid. Max asked me if I was nuts and wanted to take the risk on brake failure for $12 worth of brake fluid.

Well, I was doing all the brakes on the van and since I was at it, I flushed the brake fluid (start at the pass side rear, then the driver's side rear, then the pass front and finish with the driver's front). Guess what? Worked. Pedal pressure came back to normal and never faaded for the rest of the time I owned the van (about another 4 months, unfortunately...).

Since this takes a Saturday afternoon and $12-15 worth of brake fluid, I would give it a try. Let me know if you want to attempt this, and I'll give you some more detailed instructions...

There is supposedly some 'special' method for flushing and bleeding on these, but like I said, it worked great. If you're lesas than confident you may want to take it to a dealer. Or. google it. The instructions are out there.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

IIRC, the recall goes up to 100,000, so if you haven't passed

You got bad info.

The recall is for life and there is a lifetime warranty on a mess of ABS parts there. The 100K only is the extended warranty for 'some' of the parts and has nothing really to do with the recall.

See:

Check for NHTSA recall 96V099000 if the like doesn't hold.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain