key stuck in ignition

1989 Corvette has the key stuck in the ignition. I can start the car but can't turn off. I had to diconect the ground wire on the battery. The key will not go to the off position and I can't get the key out of the ignition. Before I take it to the dealer any coments? Thanks Chuck
Reply to
CHUCK

If the lock button on the shifter is not all the way up when in Park, the key won't turnn all the way to the off position. Mine does that sometimes and I just rock the shifter a little, the button comes up, and the key then will go all the way to the off position. This started AFTER I took it to a dealer to adjust the linkage cable.

Hope the solution is that easy for you.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Asumming you have an automatic, jiggling the gear shifter will allow you to remove the key and make the button on top of the shifter pop up..

Reply to
benf802961

I did that and when I did I can hear and see the button go up to release but the key won't move back. Chuck

Reply to
CHUCK

When the ignition switch cylinder failed in my 72, it became stuck in the "on " position. The cylinder would move forward toward the "start" position but not rearward to "off" or "accessory". It's an auto trans car, but no amount of fiddling with the shifter made any difference. I couldn't shut the doggoned engine off until I disconnected the battery. After I replaced the ignition switch cylinder, the problem was cured.

Reply to
klutz

I just went out and checked on my '89 and verify what happens when the lock button doesn't come all the way up and found that I can turn the ignition switch off, but it won't go to Lock so I can get the key out. Sounds like your problem might be more like Klutz'.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chuck, Take it to your local auto locksmith. It appears that you're ignition has malfunctioned. you have a side-bar type ignition. chances are, the retainer (that's crimped down into place) has let go. the retainer holds down the wafers and springs inside your ignition lock. when it lets go, it will not let the ignition turn to the off-locked position/ a locksmith can r&r it and repair it without replacing the ignition. the dealer will want to replace the ignition or call their locksmith out to repair it.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Agree! The dealer will outsource it and you'll pay a markup on that bill. If in doubt, call a couple of dealers and request a recommendation for a locksmith.

Reply to
PJ

yea they sure will outsource it. I can't count the lock jobs we have done, and are still doing, for the dealers over the years.

g'day all

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
RicSeyler

Well Boys Thanks for all the input. You guys were on the money, it was the ignition cylinder and it had to be rekeyed. You were also on the money about the Dealer, he placed a new cylinder in the ignition and gave me 2 new keys. Total cost almost $ 500.00 I didn't get the chance to read my post here on the site and took the car to the dealer Sunday night. I just got in and am now (Dummy me) reading your on the money posts. Thanks for all the help even if I didn't listen. Before I go to the Dealer in the future I will wait to read all the posts and save money. Thanks again for all the help CHUCK

Reply to
CHUCK

$ 500.00 ???? now that's a rip off.... $50 ignition and one hour min labor. I you would have taken it to a lockshop ? It would have cost ya $ 125.00 to $150.00 tops to repair the one ya had.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Remember when I got mine done, they charged me $300 and went joy riding and banged up the front. Then denied it, even with the little chips of paint lying on the ground in front of the car in their lot.....

That's what I get for be>"

Reply to
RicSeyler

I do remember that !