'97 Olds Cutlass Supreme C ode P1870

Hey all. Just a quick question here. I have a 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme, with the 3100 V6 engine. It has around 201,000 KM's on it, and usually runs like a top. I am in Ontario, Canada, so when I bought the car 2 or so months ago it had to pass an Emission's Test. This it did quite well (though it was a dealer who did the Emission Test, not myself). A few weeks ago, the 'Check Engine' light came on. I had it scanned and it came up as an Oxygen sensor code (P0134). No other codes were coming up. I replaced the Oxygen sensor, and after a day or so of driving, the code 'Check Engine' light went off. However, I was still a little worried, so I had the car scanned for codes again. This time it came up with the Oxygen Sensor code (P0134) as well as a P1021 and a P1870. I cleared all the codes at that time, and checked yesterday and the only code that has remained (I have put several hundred KM's of highway and city driving on the car since I cleared the codes) is the P1870 code. From what I can tell, a P1870 is a "Transmission Component Slipping" code. I have noticed that at times when you accelerate it seems as though the car does not have power for a split second, then it gets it back and you take off. Other then that, the car is running perfect, and seems to be great on gas for a 3100. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what this may be? Is it usually something inside the transmission where it would have to be taken apart and looked at, or could it be some form of sensor that is malfunctioning? Also, would a transmission fluid and filter change make any difference? I know it can't hurt, but if the transmission is going to need serious repairs, I am getting rid of the car before spending any more money on it.

Thanks all for any help you can give me.

Reply to
80 Knight

Shep

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

Reply to
80 Knight

the lock up sil. is probley going bad cheap compared to a new tranny or new car

Reply to
bigauto

Can you tell me how i could go about checking or replacing that?

Reply to
80 Knight