1996 Jeep Cherokee - engine won't turn over

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4x2) that won't start. The starter fires appropriately and sounds fine, but the engine just won't turnover.

I just checked the distributor cap and it seems fine - no corrosion or cracks. The rotor appears to be in good shape, but may need to be replaced (my book says replace if unsure).

Anyway, has anyone had similar problems, or can anyone shed some light as to where I should look next?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

A little bit off the record...my uncle has couple of years ago same kind of problem with his JD harvester. Starter fired, but the engine just didn´t turn over, even with aux. current. Reason for this was mouse nest in one cylinder. This little gnawer must have been got there through the open exthaust pipe.

Pete

Reply to
Kairala

If you mean it turns over but won't fire up, then I would be suspecting the CPS. It is at 10:00 on the bell housing or top drivers side. The electrical plug for it is close to the back of the throttle body and sometimes just the plug needs a clean.

Can you get the engine codes off that one? I think if you turn the key on, off, on, off, then on the dash starts flashing. You count the flashes. The last two sets should be 5 and 5 or 55 which means end of codes.

Mike

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just wanted to post a follow up. Everything is working now, as cleaning the CPS connector solved my problem.

The starter always worked, but the engine never turned-over. Apparently the CPS connector was dirty, because a few hours after I cleaned it, my Jeep started just as good as new.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike