Engine won't turn over

Hi Folks, I have recently purchase a 69 VW beetle for my wife (candy apple red - her toy car) The vehicle was running fine until the battery died. I just charged it up, and it looks to be fine (headlights turn on, horn works, etc). However the engine won't turn over. I don't have a repair manual yet (ordered one today), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I don't think it is the starter as I do not here any action from the solenoid (clicking,etc). I believe it is something electronic (fuse, relay, etc). Any clues or steps to trace the igintion circuit would be helpful...

Reply to
areyouwireless

Great tutorial for identifying starter problems. The relay suggested towards the bottom is a bit of a controversy around here so if you go that route, stay hush hush on it. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

(We're assuming this is a 4-spd tranny.) There are NO fuses, relays, etc in the starter circuit. Since the solenoid does NOT click, that leaves only the Ignition switch and the wire from there to the solenoid. Check the push-on connector on the solenoid first. You can jump the solenoid connection as shown in the next link while under there (Wear glasses and be sure shift is in Neutral!!)

If the wire connector is good and jumping it makes the engine turn, you're looking at the Ignition switch.

Speedy Jim

Dragenwagen has a whole page about starter circuits:

Bookmarks the following sites for future reference:

Searchable:

And:

Speedy Jim