1996 Silverado 4x4. Hard to replace ball joints and front end componets?

I have a 1996 silverado 4x4. It has 356,000 miles, so I know it has its pro blems. I have done all the work on it myself since I have had it. I noticed the drivers side tire wearing on one edge and also it has pulled for awhile slightly to the right. I scheduled an appointment at Midas to have the front end aligned. I got a call saying they could not do the alignment becasue I needed new left side ball joints, pitman arm, and idler arm. To my shick, the price was going to be 900 bucks! Well, I did not have it done there. I am wondering first, when I asked what they meant by "left side" they told me the drivers side. WHich is odd beca sue the tire that was wearing was on the passanger side. Second, how can I tell at home if this is indeed what is wrong and the part s I have are bad? I know with the mileage on this truck they probably are. I just want to make sure any parts I replace are indeed bad. Also, is it ok to replace parts on one side and not the other? My plan was to try to get another truck before all this but they are expensive. This is my daily driv er so until I can find a good deal on a used one, I will be driving it. It has an intake leak right now I am going to fix this weekend. If these parts are indeed bad, are replacements hard to do at home? I have done just about everything else on a car but have never messed with the fro nt end. The guy at midas told me they would have to take out the "drive gea r" dince it is a 4x4. I think what he meant was the steering gear but not s ure. From what I understand, the hardest part is getting the old parts off.

Anyway I appreciate any help!

Reply to
stryped1

it's because nobody's telling him what he wants to hear, i.e. that it's cheap and easy to do, or that one of the guys at iffy lube will do it for a 6-pack of those little bud lights. guess we just gotta ground-hog-day until he gets bored and goes away.

Reply to
jim beam

[...]

I having a deja vu moment.

Reply to