1996 v6 Corsica Question

Hi,

I am unable to locate the oil pressure sending switch on this car.

Reply to
actionintegral

Look under the front exaust manifold and above the starter area for a one-wire switch with a large hex-shaped housing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

One is located as stated above, next to oil filter, but there is an optional sender [I nc about this] located elsewhere, so I linked the above for ya to figure it out.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

I see a one wire switch where you say, but if i unplug it, the fuel pump still engages?

Reply to
actionintegral

Why are you concerned about this? The oil pressure sender / fuel pump switch assembly isn't meant to keep the pump from operating. If you let the group know what your actual concern is we could address it more precisely. I thought you just wanted to know where the OP sender was.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Comboverfish wrote: If you

Yes, I want to know where the OP sender was. To check if I found it, I unplugged it, thinking the fuel pump would not engage. I guess that's not the case.

I was told that the OP sender disabled the fuel pump in case of an accident so that if you wrecked the car, the fuel pump wouldn't keep spewing gas all over the road.

Reply to
actionintegral

I don't think carmakers have used the oil pressure switch for that purpose for many years. Since the switch to full computer control of the engine, its much quicker and more fool-proof to shut down the fuel pump when the ECM stops seeing crank sensor pulses.

Reply to
Steve

I see.

GM has held on to this dual purpose OP sender design for decades now. I guess they are concerned the fuel pump relay will fail, and the cost to incorporate the sender/switch as a failsafe is virtually nil. It is not a safety shutoff measure, rather a FP relay failure measure.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish