1997 chevy astro starting problems

Hi all,

I have a '97 astro van with an odd starting problem. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. If it does start, it runs great, no missing, no bogging down, nothing. But sometimes it will crank and crank without starting. I changed the distributor cap and rotor bug, fuel filter, and coil. It hadn't been starting at all recently untill I replaced the coil (new from parts store). I bought a used ignition control module, but it wouldn't even start then, so I put the old one back in and it started after a few attempts. It started several times in a row perfectly, then decided not to start for a few attempts again. The only trouble code showing is p1300 ignition control module (igniter) circuit. Do I need a brand new icm? Or is there possibly another cause?

Paul

Reply to
paul.bettes

Next time it won't start check to see if you have spark. It could also be a fuel pump/pressure issue. Also a possible bad ignition switch.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I'd start with the ignition switch. When you turn the key to run it has to energize several pieces of of the car, and then keep some of them hot when you further turn it to the start position. If it cranks without starting and then intermittently starts and runs fine, I'd begin troubleshooting at the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

It would seem to me that if your ignition module was bad it would either never start, or randomly stall/quit while driving. If when it does start it runs just fine that rules out a bad/intermittent ignition module to me. It could also be that you're not getting any fuel, can you hear the pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key from off to the run position when it won't start?

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Ok, yesterday it started after only 4 tries and I drove it to work. I got off work and it took 20 minutes to get it to start, and I drove onto the street and it didn't have the normal "get up and go", but it did make it home (40 MPH zone all the way). This morning it wouldn't even start. I did notice that the amount of noise the fuel pump makes is different, I used to be able to hear it when I turned the key on, but now I have to really strain to hear it. I don't have a fuel pressure guage, but I wonder can I use a tire pressure guage on the bleed port on the fuel rail (underneath the doghouse) to check it? Last time I filled up I put some fuel system conditioner in the tank, I wonder if it pulled some junk loose in the tank and clogged up the sock filter, or the fuel pump just picked this random time to go out.

Reply to
paul.bettes

The CSI fuel system on these is very sensitive to pressure. A couple of PSI too low and you start having starting problems. The test port schrader on GM's is not the same size as tires. (unlike Fords)

Reply to
Steve Austin

I tried to start it again this evening, and when I turn the key on, after a few seconds I can hear the relay in the box above the battery area click, but I don't even hear the fuel pump anymore, so I'd say it's a safe bet the pump died. Problem is that I don't have the $300 to buy a new one, even if I could do it myself anymore.

Reply to
Paul

Here's a bit of an update. I bought a can of starting fluid, and it will start and stay running. I found a fuel pressure guage at Oreillys auto parts, but can't afford the $44 right now.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
man of machines