Starting Problems

Hi, '74 Bug here, (UK)

Having problems, starting it. Upon starting the engine will turn and will just whine as if the battery is flat.

The battery is about 80% charge and I've also tested with a known good battery.

The generator, (dynamo) appears to be fine, brushes are good etc...

I've measured the voltage, and it's about 11.5V and about 14.5 V when the engine is running across the terminals. The engine will run (once started) with the battery disconnected.

I've been parking it on a hill every time for about the last month or so and just bump starting it, but that is getting weary now.

I changed the crank pulley 'cos the old one was just eating belts for breakfast. There is now a new pulley and fan belt on the engine, and all appears to be fine there.

As far as I can tell, the generatior is good, the battery is good. The starter is good, and the voltage produced (Across the terminals) is good.

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Followups set to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Reply to
Wigglytuff

Get a new battery. Even Sitting without a load your battery should read over 12 volts ................Each cell producing a whopping 2.2 volts. Multiply that times 6 and ya get 13.2 volts or somewhere near that at rest.Under 12 is surely a sign of a dying or dead battery.

I am not sure I fully understand the Original post, as you stated the engine would whine.?????

Does this mean it turns and turns freely and easily and does not start?Or does it just turn really slowly as though there is not enough power to turn it over fast enough for the start?

Hope I helped.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

OK, I did try another battery which works fine in the other car, but not the bug. I thought the bug didn't even need a really powerful battery to start it anyway?

But sometimes, maybe every 30 tries or so, every few days, it will start nicely about 3 times in a row. And then goes back to the same old not starting routine. Could this be due to the battery just getting enough charge, to start it a couple of times, and then becoming flat again?

The latter. Like if you keep cranking it and it won't 'kick' or 'fire' just turns and gradually gets slower and slower. (And makes a whining, flat battery sound)

Thanks for you input.

Reply to
Wigglytuff