1997 dodge cravan sport tranny problem

Hi All,

Yesterday, while driving, my caravan suddenly decided to quit on me. I was making a right hand turn and while slowing down, the vehicle seemed to bog down as if to stall out. After making the turn, the same thing occured while giving it gas to speed up. Well, it got so bad, that the transmission decided to freeze up on me, causing me to skid to a stop in the middle of the road...without any other warning. I had to have it towed, but my question is what do you think is wrong with it? It almost sounds like something let go and snapped, or could it be something simple like maybe a modulator? I had no forward or reverse gears to move the vehicle. It was as if the car was in park all the time. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

If yours is truly "locked up", i'll bet massive internal damage. Probably best to find a shop that will exchange it for a rebuilt unit with all the upgrades. It would probably cost more to fix what you got. I would skip the tear down and diagnose and go straight to exchange for another rebuilt. It would be faster at some shops to do it that way. Then again, i stayed at a holiday inn express last night........

My guess, 2000/3000 $ US depending on the shop. Call around and asked for the exchanged rebuilt price. If you core is shot it may cost you more.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Yuh... this is my biggest fear... no gears and it seem slike its in park all the time...plus it just made the van skid to a stop which makes me think something snapped inside. I alway wondered about a rebuilt or just doing the one thats there...I mean I know the tranny thats there and nothing about the rebuilt one.... I also know rebuilt is supposed to be back to factory specs, so I shouldn't have anything to worry about i guess... It got towed to my mechanic who knows a good tranny shop.... hes done work on all my vehicles and even my bike for me, and I trust him, so I am not worried he's gonna rip me off... well too much... everyone has to make a profit now....lol...

Thanks for the ideas..... oh and I really don't need it in any hurry.... so time isn't of an issue.

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

What ever you do, ASK about the warranty. How many miles. And is R/R Labor included? It might be worth it for a better warranty that includes labor as well as any parts. Those trannies seem to be good for 40 to 60K in a lot of cases before they shell out. And you have to be sure to use the Correct special Mopar ATF+ in them.

We have a large local depot rebuilder here that has them on the shelf and does a good warranty. I would be warry of AAMCO. Some independent shops use jasper rebuilt units. I would trust shops that do lots of what you got rather than a shop that only occasionally rebuilds the unit you have. Or a small shop that out sources the rebuild like a jasper or such. Check with your local Mopar dealer, you never know.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Thanks Bob...

Looks like I am going to be shelling out 2 grand... ugh.... just what i need after xmas... lol

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear