1997 GMC Savanna 2500 5.7L V8 dies when stopping

Hello,

My above mentioned van dies whenever I decelerate from 60 to a dead stop, it rumbles at first like it's gasping for air then stalls. I put it into park and start it right up again and drive away with no problem, it only dies when I go over 40 miles per hour and come to a complete stop.

Please give me suggestions.

Thank you,

James

Reply to
zaintjamez

Shep

Reply to
zaintjamez

I second Shep's EGR recommendation. But first, is your 'check engine light' on? If so, can you get thee to an Autozone or equivalent to have your codes read?

About EGR disconnecting: Look at the front top area of the engine right next to the thermostat housing and upper radiator hose. The linear EGR valve is a cylindrical device bolted to the intake manifold with a 5 wire connector on top. Unplug that connector. Make sure that the engine is running smoothly before you shut it off to do this, otherwise the EGR pintle could still be stuck open. Now drive in the same manner that causes the rough idle and see if the problem is still present or gone. If it idles OK now then suspect the EGR valve is stickng open after a long cruise. If it sticks open during high duty cycle operation your engine would have a really hard time idling.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I disconnected the EGR Valve and drove it around the block and it did the same thing when coming to a stop, so I connected it back and erased the codes.

Does this mean the EGR valve is bad or ? The condition should have gotten better right ?

Thank you,

James

Comboverfish wrote:

Reply to
zaintjamez

That means your EGR valve isn't specifically causing the problem right now, so you can rule it out. Perhaps the idle speed control actuator is failing, though I don't know of an easy test for it (that can be expressed in type). Sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you based on your symptoms.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish