1998 Ford Escort radiator fan

Getting a whirring/jingling noise coming from the fan. It's working fine, no play and nothing appears to be loose or broken but is this an indication of worn bearings or something that will sooner or later put it out of order? Cooling system and a/c are in good shape with radiator replaced about a year ago.

Reply to
Bill Kinkaid

Well, nobody chimed in so I'll give you two cents worth.

If the noise really is coming from the fan and not a nearby loose bolt (or the like), I'd take it apart and see what I could see. Might be that the blade assembly is coming loose and rubbing on the radiator, in which case it will eventually wear through and require replacement of the radiator as well. Or, like you say, it could be the bearings inside the motor. If it gets loose enough though it could still take out the radiator. Or just seize up when you need it most. Either way, definitely something that needs looking into before it puts you on the side of the road.

Good luck.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Ford FWD radiator fan/shroud assemblies are typically pretty failure prone; I have seen a variety of failure modes. I have even seen harnesses overheat near the relay socket from overcurrent draw. You should consider replacing the assembly --- on the models I have seen more recently, it is a complete assembly, fan, shroud, and motor, and the price is not too bad (well, crap *is* cheap to make...)

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish