1998 Saturn SL2 Service Light, code 1690, 1691

My wife took her car to the dealer because the car was hard to start, but once she would slam the door or hood or jumped the battery the car started and ran fine. I checked the alternator and it was putting out 14.7 volts.

The dealer told her that she needed a battery which was ok because it was the stock battery when we bought it, but then told her that the car would need $1100.00 in work to replace the computer and clear the service light because the computer was codes 1690 and 1691.

My questions are:

  1. What do these codes mean and how are the usually fixed?

  1. I am a electrician, these problems look more like a short or bad connection should I start looking here?

  2. Am I being TOOK?
Reply to
KC