1999 Ford Taurus Tranny Problem

Hello all, I have a 99 Ford Taurus with an electronic controlled automatic transmission. The car has 115,xxx miles on it. It's been running fine except for a few occasions when the transmission wouldn't shift. It happened 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months. The car would stay in 1st gear while the engine's RPM kept raising to almost 5000 RMP and the car's speed was only around 30mph (at this point, I let off the gas pedal because I was afraid that something could be damage) This condition continued for several minutes (5 to 8) before the transmission finally shifted to higher gear and everything came back to normal. Is this the first signs of a failing transmission? I 've checked the transmission fluid level and it was OK. The fluid color looked pink red and it didn't smell burned. The last transmission service (filter & fluid change) was about 18 months ago... What else should/can I check? How do I check the electronic shift control module? Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Stanav.

Reply to
Stanav