1999 Taurus Transmission Problem - HELP!

All,

I wanted to know if there is anything that can be done about my 1999 Taurus shifting from 1st to 2nd gear erratically after it warms up or is driven for more then 15 miles? Is there anything Ford has out there to help me as far as warranty, recall, or tech bulletins? I've replaced the transmission fluid at 45,000 and again at 89,000 miles. This started happening around 88,000 miles. No codes in the ECM. Dealer says transmission should be completely rebuilt; I disagree since I don't want to shell out $2100 for it. I know this is a common problem with older model Taurus's. HELP!

Thanks,

Disgruntled Ford Taurus Owner.

Reply to
Wildatom

Check the fluid level. The Taraus transmission is very sensitive to fluid level, especially on the 1-2 shift. Very slightly above the full tick mark may help. If that doesn't help, you may need transmission service.

Service should be every 30K miles, so you've missed servicing this a bit.

Wildatom wrote:

Reply to
none

I have had the same problem with my 95 Sable. I took it to the dealer and I was told the same thing, but, if I wanted to have a power flush of my transmission sytem, it would give it a new lease on life if it wasn't too far gone. The price was about $150.00 and I couldn't have a better working transmission if I had gone out and layed out the big bucks. Wishing you good luck.

Reply to
Ford Man