2000 altima Thermostat unstable

The thermostat of my 2000 altima reach the stable position and even the heater is working ok. Now if i step on the gas fast, then the thermostat needle comes down, fluctuates and even touch "C". If I step off the gas, then it again comes back to stable state(middle of the meter).

if i keep running on a stable speed on a highway, or say the speed is like 45-50, then needle continues staying in the middle( stable state)

Could anyone please help, as to what is the root cause of this..

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
VabsieSam

Thermostat stuck open?

Reply to
Noozer

Maybe a loose or dirty connection for the temp gauge. It's the single wire terminal that is mounted in the coolant outlet at the top of the engine behind the alternator. Either that, or possibly some air in the cooling system that's made its way up to that sensor and causing false readings?

Reply to
JM

A bad connection in the wire between the temperature sensor and the gauge.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Low coolant will cause this too. s