2000 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes ?

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with about 68000 miles. I am planning on about a 2000+ mile trip from MN to CO and back and wondering if I should take it in to a shop to have the brakes checked? I bought it used at about 58000 miles and don't know what, if anything, was done to the brakes prior to that? It seems to run fine and the brakes seem fine but I am a little worried if I have to do much mountain driving on worn out brakes?! Any suggestions? Is there any good way of looking at them myself to see if they are worn to the point of replacement? Thanks for any help! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Have you done anything to the car in the last 10,000 miles?

At the very least I'd take it to someone trustworthy, and check all the belts, hoses, and brakes. If you don't know if the previous owner has been good about it, I'd change transmission fluid, power steering fluid, radiator fluid and brake fluid too. Check plugs and cables or maybe just replace the plugs since it's as easy to swap 'em as to check them.

And I would probably do this ANYWAY, just having purchased a car without a maintenance record, even if I wasn't planning a 2,000 mile trip.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If the previous owner replaced the brakes they should be fine. If they weren't replaced then it's probably due. Problem is you don't know which. You can actually check them yourself if your worried about being taken. Just pull a tire off and see how much 'meat' is left on the pads.

Scott had some really good ideas. However, transmission fluid shouldn't need to be changed until 80-100,000 mi or if it's very dark. I wouldn't worry about the other fluids at all(except oil) until at least 100,000, except do check ALL fluids and the other things he mentioned. It is a long trip.

Oh yea, a good indication if brakes are worn is to check the brake fluid reservoir. If it is halfway between the max and min marks then it is probably time to change brake pads.

Reply to
ngmodert

Update!

I took the van into a local shop - not the dealer shop. I have some trust in this shop from past experience. The rear brakes were packed with brake dust and were pitted. They had been making some noise prior to this so I wasn't surprised. I had new rear brakes put in and they turned the drums. The front brakes they estimated had about 20% pad left so I didn't do them. They said they would do a 2500 mile trip just fine. I had a front end alignment done. New tires (Republic brand made by Goodyear) put on the front. Also had a new serpentine belt put on. The bill was about $300 parts and $200 labor and took about 3 1/2 hours.

I had already just changed the oil and filter the other day. I like to use Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30. I also put in a new air filter. I checked all other fluid levels.

I just had new transmission fluid put in about a year ago.

Hopefully I'm ready to roll!

Did I do ok?

Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

You are ready to go.

May you run across a lot of low priced gas stations on your trip.

Reply to
motoron

Update!

We just returned from our trip and after about 2500 miles, the only problem I had with the van was that somehow I picked up a nail in one of the older tires I kept on the vehicle on the back. I'd like to put in a good word for the "Big O" tire shop in Loveland Colorado for promptly taking the vehicle in and fixing it and not even charging for it. They told me to come back again sometime if I ever needed new tires. So Thank You again if you are out there!

We had a great, nearly trouble free trip!

Steve

Reply to
Steve