liquid silicone?

Does anyone sell liquid silicone that is just in a bottle, not a spray can?

Reason I ask is, I have been in the habit of using silicone on my door gaskets, but only have it in two forms - first, as a spray lubricant, and secondly, as a grease (Sil-Glyde) either one of which works, but is not as convenient to apply to weatherstripping as would be a plain liquid that one could wipe on with a rag.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ask your local industrial lubricants house for Dow Corning 200, or for GE Silicones Viscasil. Available in a wide variety of viscosities. The minimum order is probably a 5 gallon drum but you might talk them out of smaller samples.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If you cant talk them out of a sample, let me know and I'll pick up a small bottle the next time I work in the plant laboratory and will mail it to you.

Reply to
hls

I don't know if it is still available anywhere, but there is, or was a product for waterproofing leather shoes.I am not sure, but I think it was based on silicone. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Some commercial quality photo copy machines use silicone oil as a lube. It comes in small plastic bottles. Its thick like molasses. Get it on you and it won't come off.

Reply to
Paul

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:35:59 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

I found a number of them by plugging liquid silicone lube into google. Here's some here

You'd have to wade through the stuff to find what's suitable. I've seen other liq sil lubes too, but you can google them. About 20 years ago NAPA carried a liquid suspension bushing reconditioner and I bought a gallon for about 15 bucks, but don't think I ever opened the can but once, and can't even remember what I used it for. Probably would have been good for weatherstripping, but I had no weatherstripping issues then. I think the newer doors seal tighter and/or they're using a different rubber compound. If I didn't want to use spray can silicone, I'd just try BMW GumiPflege or Honda Shin-Etsu silicone grease. Think they're pretty much the same thing. When I remember to spray the normal aerosol silicone lubes on the weatherstripping before my doors start freezing shut, it seems it sometimes takes another application before the winter is over. That rub-in grease is probably a better lube/sealer for the weatherstripping than liquid silicone.. BTW Nate, last week I was having trouble with a corroded drain in my basement cement double sink and ran across your troubles with same in a DIY forum. I was about to break it up and replumb for a plastic tub when my kid came over and with his good eyes saw the corrosion on the embedded tub drain nipple was from the nut, and he cleaned it off with a hammer, Rust Buster, and a hacksaw blade. The new PVC J-trap and tailpiece I had bought wouldn't seal right to the old fittings on sink bottom and brass elbow to the drain pipe unless I went and got some liquid rubber. The compression rings were just too fat. The kid had his automotive o-ring kit in the garage and suggested trying o-rings. I "humored" him because I didn't want to run to the store. I've been doing this plumbing crap for 40 years and never heard of using o-rings on drains. Liquid rubber always works when matching new to old drain fittings when you don't want to redo everything. I said go ahead and try but don't dope it up because it's going to leak and we'll just have to clean the dope off before we get it right. He put a 1 1/2" o-ring on the tailpiece flange and another in the PVC nut to the old brass elbow and barely snugged them tight with channel locks. Not a drop leaked and no dope! Man that kid saves me money. And his mom loves him because there was no interruption with her laundry. Still got that sink?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I believe treadmill belt lubricant is silicone. I've seen it sold in foil packages similar to salad dressing packaging.

Reply to
tnom

tnom

just thought of something, would DOT5 brake fluid work as a rubber conditioner? That I know I can buy locally rather than having to order it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I used to cover a jar with a paper towel held in place with a rubber band - then poke a hole in the towel with the spout tube from a can of silicone spray, then spray the silicone mist into the jar until I captured a few tablespoons of the liquid.

Then, using a 1-inch bristle brush, I'd paint all the door gaskets with the juice.

More recently, I've found that Tire Wet - the stuff that shines up your tires - works better, and lasts longer. I get the refill bottle and just paint it on when needed.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

I asked this a while back and don't recall getting an answer... does anyone sell non-glossy tire dressing anymore? I used to use some Meguiar's - I think - stuff that made your tires black but not glossy. Really liked it. Any store I've been in in the past 2 years or more has not sold anything but "EXTREEM SHINE!!!11!!eleventy!" products however.

As an aside to your comment, my 944 has one of those semi-squishy black rubber spoilers on it, and I've found that spray silicone works better than tire dressing - even when I could find the non-glossy stuff - for keeping it "really black" and not having too much dirt stick to it. When I remember to apply it.

However, for the door gasket thing, I may have to break down and buy some tire dressing just for that purpose, because it seems easier to apply than any of the silicone products on my shelf...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't want to shine up my new tires I bought last week.In fact of the business, I rubbed some mud on my new tires.Maybe those Obama supporters around here will leave them alone, and not slash them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

:(

Reply to
Paul

Be careful. As far as I know there are three different types of brake fluids that have compatibility issues with different substances. Rubber is one of those substances. It would be best to research this before experimenting on rubber.

Reply to
tnom

Does Armor All make a product which will suit your purpose? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin