2000 Regal GS (SC) questions

I am looking at buying a Regal GS with 50 k miles, in good shape, this car is supposed to be a great comfy driver with good reviews even from Cosumers Reports.

I heard there are issues with the digital dash and climate controls, is this still true and are these expensive to fix.

I also need an idea of how long the sc will last and the cost of rebuilding, replacing it.

Does this 3800 (series 2) motor have leaky intake and head gaskets like some of the other GMs.

I like to keep my cars until they go to the wreckers I don

Reply to
Big Al

My impressions: the digital dashes hold up pretty well. When they get older, well, they are like anything else as it gets older.

The airconditioning may cause some problems. Most of the ones I know of personally have had to have a computer (maybe $600 plus labor) replaced, etc, during their normal lifetime. The vacuum module (on applicable cars) is not cheap if it goes out. (Maybe $400 plus labor)

Yes, this is the troublesome engine, with the plastic plenum degradation problem. Roughly $600-800 usually to replace this, but you can do it yourself for a fraction of that.

Reply to
hls

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

Reply to
Big Al

I guess two more questions:

Can I replace the plastic plenum ahead of failure with a better aftermarket product And is there any other inherent issues with the 3800 motor. I figure I am saving $7000 over a similar condition Camry or Accord so it might all be worth it. Thanks Again

Reply to
Big Al

Of course, you can replace the plenum at any time. The last time I priced one in the USA, my cost was in the neighborhood of $150 or so. NAPA accesses them.

There is a conversion to the standard plenums which entails epoxying a metal tube in the failure zone. AFAIK, these are only available to professionals.

You can also go deeper and replace the intake gaskets while you have it apart. These gaskets have had some problems, supposedly because they were conceived to omit asbestos and didnt always hold up as they should. I have seen some that, while still holding, looked like hell.

Normally, the plenum is the more likely failure.

The 3800 II motor is really very good, except for the problems mentioned. This is perhaps the best V6 series that GM ever made. The plenum problem was an unfortunate c*ck-up.

Reply to
hls