2001 Dodge Caravan SE 41TE/41AE Tranny Reliability

I'm the original owner of a 2001 Caravan SE with the 3.3l engine and the 4-speed 41TE/41AE transmission. The van has about 17,000 miles on it and the 3/36 warranty will be expiring this September.

I've read a lot about what appear to be an above average number of problems related to the 41TE/41AE transmissions and am wondering if I should be considering an extended warranty. I haven't had any problems with the tranny and plan on giving it its first fluid change around

20,000 miles. Also, I've noticed that my transmission _does_ have a cooler on it. Have these transmissions gotten any better in the past few years?

I have had a few other problems with the van that have been covered under the warranty: the ignition pack got flakey and needed to be replaced and the power window motor unit started failing in the driver's door and was replaced.

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything before, but the Chrysler transmission stories have me a bit worried. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks, Michael J. Linden

Reply to
Michael J. Linden, N9BDF