2001 Saturn SL - Repair cost, Micro V belt replacement?

Check engine light came on at 51,000 miles, said cylinder 1 was misfiring. Diagnosed as intake manifold gasket failure. Picked up the car today, said they had to replace the "Micro V Belt" also. What is a micro V belt?

Bill was:

Saturn I M Gasket Kit = $72.64 Micro V Belt = $25.80

4.6 hours x $65/hr = $299.00 Tax at 6.60% = $26.23 Total = $423.67

Is this a fair price?

-Nate

Reply to
Llatikcuf

The "Micro V Belt" is what drives your accessories (alternator, waterpump, A/C compressor, and P/S pump). It is also called a serpentine belt in your particular application.

The shop probably didn't charge you any additional labor to replace it because it needs to come off to get the intake manifold off anyway. I'm sure the $300 labor is for the complete job of diagnosis and repair of the engine, which seems about right.

The shop suggested that you replace the belt because it was either showing signs of wear (like cracking rubber) or it was squealing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish